Author Topic: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information  (Read 26401 times)

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 July 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, your John Jackson and Mary Wallace are connected to the family I cited. Andrew Wallace was the brother of Margaret Wallace.

Margaret Herbertson Jackson (born 1845 in Cambuslang) married Archibald Craig, son of John Craig, landed propretor of Bridsfield Farm, which Archibald inherited. Archibald Craig and his wife, Margaret Jackson, lived at Birdsfield Farm until Archibald's death in 1881. Archibald Craig's sister, Margaret Craig, was the wife of William Paterson. William Paterson and Margaret Craig were my GG uncle and aunt. Margaret Jackson, subsequent to the death of Archibald Craig, married William Paterson's brother, Gavin Paterson (my GG uncle). The daughter of Margaret Herbertson Jackson and Archibald Craig, Janet Herbertson Jackson Craig, later married Thomas Paterson, the son of Gavin Paterson. Yes, I know, it IS convoluted.

John Jackson (born 1831 in Cambuslang) married Mary Wallace in 1836 in Rutherglen. They lived at Birdsfield Farm from 1891 onwards. Prior to that, they lived at Blantyre Farm. This John Jackson was the brother of Margaret Herbertson Jackson. Their parents were Andrew Jackson and Janet Herbertson, who ran Blantyre Farm, as you say.

The Craigs were proprietors of Birdsfield Farm for many decades, according to the MIs I have for that family in High Blantyre Auld Kirkyard:

Lair 25 - Erected in memory, Craig of Birdsfield, MDCCXXL, Mary Alexander his spouse of Blantrye MDCCXLVI

Lair 26 - Erected in memory of Archibald Craig of Birdsfield. B 1/12/1831, d 18/2/1881, and of his children John b 4/11/1866, d 6/11/1866, Margaret Wallace b19/9/1867, d 28/11/1867, Isabella Jackson b5/2/1877, d 12/10/1877, Margaret Wallace b 6/8/1869, d 24/6/1879, Archibald Craig b 27/3/1879 KIA while serving with the 7/8 Battalion KOSB near Ypres, Belgium 19/8/1917 and of his widow (interred here) Margaret Jackson, aftewards widow of Gavin Paterson, Provost of Hamilton b 7/8/1845 and d 26/3/1931

Lair 27 - To the memory of James Craig, Birdsfield,who died 16/6/1856 aged 75

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 July 13 14:26 BST (UK) »
You'll find that there is a strong Wallace/Jackson/Craig/Paterson connection maritally.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 July 13 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodeo,
I am confused as some of your info is not correct.

"John Jackson (born 1831 in Cambuslang) married Mary Wallace in 1836 in Rutherglen. They lived at Birdsfield Farm from 1891 onwards. Prior to that, they lived at Blantyre Farm. This John Jackson was the brother of Margaret Herbertson Jackson. Their parents were Andrew Jackson and Janet Herbertson, who ran Blantyre Farm, as you say"

John Jackson was born in Cambuslang in 1831 and married Mary Wallace in 1859.
(As per info on marriage cert)
He was NOT the son of Andrew Jackson and Janet Herbertson, nor did he have a sister called Margaret.

John was the son of William Jackson and Elizabeth Johnston.
After the death of his father on census night 1851 his mother Elizabeth moved from Cambuslang to Blantyre Farm where she was the fund hiolder and where she died in 1882.

The original Jackson/Johnston farm in Cambuslang had been run by his mother's father. ( his maternal grandfather)
His grandfather sold the business to John's father, William some years before their deaths.
William Jackson died in 1851 and left his estate to his wife, Elizabeth Ms Johnston.
Elizabeth left her childhood home, and moved to Blantyre Farm... I suspect  that it may have been the Duke's decision, rather than Elizabeth's

EDIT: Snip showing parents from 1859 marriage of John Jackson and Mary Wallace

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 July 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
Oops. Sorry. You're quite right. In my haste, I confused James Jackson, Margaret Jackson's brother, with John Jackson, who was indeed the son of William Jackson and Elizabeth Johnston. Wasn't the Andrew Jackson, who was a witness at the wedding of John Jackson and Mary Wallace, Margaret's father? Weren't Andrew Jackson and William Jackson brothers?

I do know pertinently, however, that it was through the Craig/Wallace/Jackson intermarriage that John Jackson and Mary Wallace occupied Birdsfield Farm subsequent to the death of Archibald Craig.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 July 13 14:53 BST (UK) »
John's younger brother was called Andrew Jackson.
Born in 1838, married Margaret Young in 1860 and died in 1914.
I think he was the witness to the 1859 marriage

I am not aware of any "older" Andrew Jacksons.

Not only was John's mother (Elizabeth Johnston) married to William Jackson, but she had a sister who also married a man called John Jackson.
Their husbands may have been related, but definitely not brothers.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 July 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
I was looking back through this thread and at some of the place names mentioned.
I was born and bred in EK... although after it gained New Town Status in 1947.

Since 1947, almost every farm in the town has given way to  housing development, but I do remember some from my early years.
Most of the new housing areas are named for farms ect that once stood there.

I am looking at a framed map on my wall... EK 1935.
 Mains Castle sits just inside the map perimiter, and directly opposite, just yards away is  a farm called Laigh Mains, ( this no longer exists) and I am guessing that this is the Mains Farm buildings which are referred to  early on the thread.

Robertosoy also made reference to a place name interpreted as " Allerish Hole"
This is undoubtedly Arrotshole.
Arrotshole is pretty old, but possibly altered/demolished or rebuilt between 1800 and 1935!.
It is among the place names listed The History of East Kilbride and Rutherglen by David Ure, first printed in 1793.. ( I think this  can be read online at googlebooks)
Arrotshole from the 1935 map still exists today, and forms a couple of modernised single storey houses

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 March 15 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in any more information on this unknown CRAIG and Mary Alexander who died in 1730 and 1746.

Does anyone know anything?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 March 15 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Robertosoy also made reference to a place name interpreted as " Allerish Hole"
This is undoubtedly Arrotshole.

Aha! That might be the mystery place that I provisionally transcribed as Aruchole. "1796 Isobel to John Smith in Aruchole? born 27 September baptised 9 October." - I think she is my 3rd-great-grandmother, who married James Aitkenhead in 1815.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline fiveweeks1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 March 15 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Robertosoy,

I have Hugh Wallace, son of James Wallace and Margaret Thomson, (marriage proclaimed 10 Nov., 1793) born 25 Feb. 1774 in Busby, Scotland.
Hugh travelled to Dalhousie, Lanark County, Ontario,Canada in 1819 with his son Robert on the sailing ship "Prompt".
While working in a stone quarry there Hugh sustained an injury that required the amputation of one leg. He subsequently returned to Scotland where he died. I am descended from Robert's line.

Hugh's other children James-1794-1866, Margaret 1796-?, Hugh 1800-1873, William 1802-?, Andrew 1804-1885, George 1806-? all remained in Scotland. James, Hugh and Andrew were involved in the weaving industry and died in Paisley, Scotland.

I have Robert's line to 2015.
Hope this helps with the mystery of whatever happened to the family

Regards

fiveweeks1