Author Topic: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information  (Read 26410 times)

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 14 May 15 11:01 BST (UK) »
I am now thoroughly confused about Birdsfield before Archibald inherited it.

I have a monument inscription saying James CRAIG of Birdsfield died 18 June 1856 but a Glasgow Herald article claiming he (or someone with same name) died June 1859. Could the date on the gravestone be unclear.

Who is this James Craig? Because there is another one at Belsfield Farm dying January 1866 and one dying 1834.

Anyone out there sorted it out???

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 14 May 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
I have a monument inscription saying James CRAIG of Birdsfield died 18 June 1856 but a Glasgow Herald article claiming he (or someone with same name) died June 1859. Could the date on the gravestone be unclear.

Get the death certificate from Scotland's People. That will sort it out.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 14 May 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
A quick check on SP provides 3 results for deaths in 1856
James Craig registered in Cadder aged 10yrs----- one in Milton aged 56 and one in Springburn aged 50.
Unless your James  Craig died somewhere other than Blantyre, it looks as if none of the above is the correct death.

Only one death in Blantyre 1859 but there's no indication of age.

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 15 May 15 01:44 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if the gravestone is wrong - the 1856 should be 1859.

I still haven't figured out who this James Craig is - I think he is the son of John and Mary who died post age 85 (they were in 1841 census) at Birdsfield but don't seem to have a will or death.

Sadly there are lots of deaths not on SP - I don't think people always bothered.

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 15 May 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
okay - now know that this John and Mary CRAIG (85 in 1841 census and John dies in 1845) are the parents of James Craig (their eldest son) of Birdsfield. He is the brother of John Craig of Udston (who seems to have married Margaret Wallace). This John had son, Archibald who becomes James (his uncle -who presumably never married or at least never had children) heir after James' death in June 1859.

Anyone out there know this elderly Mary's surname or their other children?

I think this older John must be the brother of James Craig of Bellsfield who was 1758-1834 (the one married to Betty Alexander). Would love to find a death of Betty between 1834-41 (can't find her in the census).

Certainly James (son of John and Mary of Birdsfield) says that James C of Bellsfield is his cousin (and executor in 1859/60).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 15 May 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
Sadly there are lots of deaths not on SP - I don't think people always bothered.

From 1855 people were obliged by law to register a death.

Before 1855, there was no statutory register of deaths, so whether or not the death is listed depends, not on the family, but on whether the session clerk kep a record of burials, and whether that record has survived.

If your James was aged 85 in the 1841 census, the chance of him still living until 1855 is negligible.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 15 May 15 09:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, James Craig of Birdsfield was the son of John Craig and Mary ALEXANDER. It is correct that his brother, John Craig (1789-1876), married Margaret Wallace. Among the nine children born to them (John, James, Archibald, William, Basil, Jane, Mary, Alexander and Thomas) was my 2nd great aunt, Mary Craig (1840-1916), wife of William Paterson.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 15 May 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
I am delighted to have my information confirmed. Can you tell me more about John Craig senior and Mary Alexander?

They married in 1778. This makes him probably the elder brother of James Craig of Belsfield (1758-1834). Do you know who their parents were? Also who were other siblings?

This is what I have so far?
John CRAIG married Mary ALEXANDER married 8th March 1778 East Kilbride
Their children:
1) James (of Birdsfield) 31 Aug 1783 Blantyre
2) John of Udston (married Margaret Wallace) (20 August 1789 Blantyre -1876)
3) Margaret Craig - married John Thoms, farmer in 1803 in Old Monkland. He died prior to 1859. They had Mary (1804 Old Monkland) & Robert & John (1812 -died prior to 1859 will)  - both are mentioned as receiving 200 pounds from James’ will
4) Janet 19 Dec 1795 Blantyre

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 28 May 15 04:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any suggestions for the parents of the John CRAIG who married Mary Alexander in 1778 at East Kilbride?

It looks like John is the brother of James CRAIG of Bellsfield Farm, High Blantyre (1758-1834) who married Betty Alexander.

I have a possible family but want to see what others think? Any more definite siblings?

Any help appreciated?

The children I have for John and Mary are a Margaret, James, John and Janet suggesting these are the 4 parents of John and Mary. I will check further.

The grave we have for ? Craig and Mary Alexander is for the 1730's and so isn't them but as two brothers seem to have married into an Alexander family (not neccessarily that Betty adn Mary are siblings) it is possible that this was just a local family they knew well and so married into it in multiple generations