Author Topic: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information  (Read 26390 times)

Offline IRERYAN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information
« Reply #45 on: Friday 22 April 16 01:06 BST (UK) »
To Kevin and Thomas,
Robert Wallace is my 3rd G GRandfather. His daughter Mary b. 1841 d. 1884/85 in Holyoke, Mass,USA.
Married Archibald Jack, his father was Allen McAulay Jack, from Lanarkshire, Scotland.
My Grand mother was Anna Jack daughter to Mary Wallace. I am con fused as to the parents of Robert Wallace and Helen Jackson. Did they or did their parents own The Main Castle at one time?
Regards,
Tom Ryan, New Freedom,PA,USA.

Offline Lathanzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 06 August 23 03:31 BST (UK) »
robertosoy,

There are 3 additional baptisms in Blantyre that help resolve some of these issues.

I've added some extra text in bold.

"The James Wallace Problem.

Thanks for replying to my post, Thomass. I hoped that you would since you appear to have supplementary information. I cannot get to the "send" dialogue of personal messages right now so here goes!

In the time period 1761-1800 I see three marriages in the parish involving James Wallaces

(A)    31/01/73    James Wallace Margaret Thomson
(B)    01/10/75    James Wallace Elizabeth Coats
(C)    25/01/84    James Wallace Jean Ronald

Births to James Wallaces are as follows, my interpretation between the lines

(1)    27/02/74 Hugh Wallace (Jackton) legal birth

(since legal, presumed son of (A) above)

(2)    28/04/75  Margaret Wallace (Netsnook) natural (i.e. illeg) birth

(since marriage (B) occurs a few months later, I presume James (B) is father)

(3)    19/05/76 Janet Wallace (Allerish hole) birth,  11/08/76 James Wallace (Easter Common)

(these births are too close to be of the same family and the locations differ from the marriages. I cannot tell which is which, but I note in the blog that you attribute Janet to James (B)).

(4)   07/06/78  Andrew Wallace (Allerish hole)  ????

(5)   18/01/81 Margaret Wallace (Allerish hole)  ?????

(but James (B) already had a Margaret. So, does this Margaret belong to James (A) and is Allerish hole now his home?)

(6)   08/05/83  Isobel Wallace (Bogton)  ?????

<---------->      Now we come to the date at which James (C) is married    <--------------->

(7)   20/03/85  Jean Wallace (Mains)   James (C)
(b1) 06/05/1786  Jean Wallace assumed to be James (B) see b2 & b3 below
(8)   20/08/86  Janet Wallace (Mains)  James (C)
(9)   28/09/88     James Wallace (Lairhill)     ???? Must be James(A) as too close to John below. This would also indicate James born 1776 died young.
(b2) 07/03/1789 John Wallace died 1855 East Kilbride death certificate confirms parents James (B)
(10)   30/08/89   James Wallace (Mains)   James (C)
(11)   18/09/91   Bazil Wallace (Mains) died 1857 with mother's maiden name Ronald so James(C)
(12)   20/04/94    Robert   ?????? can't be James (B) as too close to Janet below. However they did have a son Robert born about 1792 died 1874 East Kilbride
(b3) 07/12/1794  Janet Wallace  Scotland people list both parents so James (B)
(13)   1800         William (Mains)  James (C)     

Some of the place names are variously spelled e.g. Allerish hole as Arrich hole, etc.

It seems to me that James (A) was born in 1751 (Cambuslang) and that James (B) was born in 1755 in Glassford. The second may be your ancestor.

Anything you can clarify in the above would be appreciated since my only source is ScotlandsPeople and you perhaps have supplementary material."

In addition, the birth of James in 1788 should confirm that James (A), James (B) and James (C) are 3 different people.

I believe there are other children missing from the parish register indices or the registers.

The James born in 1788 is almost certainly my ancestor. He married Mary Riddell in 1807 in East Kilbride.

On Ancestry I have DNA matches to both James (A) and James (B) although I haven't checked the trees to see if the trees are correct.

Offline Lathanzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 06 August 23 10:28 BST (UK) »
Just correcting myself. If James baptised 1776 is attributed to James(B) then he may not have died young.

Also as there is a Janet baptised to James (B) in 1794 there isn't a contradiction in attributing a Janet to James (B), but the Janet baptised 1776 is almost certainly a daughter of James (A).