Author Topic: Preston baptisms and burials  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Trouble

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Preston baptisms and burials
« on: Wednesday 12 August 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone spare some time to look up some baptisms and burials for a southern or can advise where I might be able to find said information on line

Looking for the family of Thomas Pownall and Louisa Perkins, they married in 1886 in St Mark's Church, Preston.
In 1891 they were living at 42 Morgan St, Preston
In 1893 when my grandfather Joseph was born they were at 17 Brunswick St, Preston.
In 1901 they were at 25 Ladyman St, St John, Preston.
In 1911 they were at 7 Smith St, Preston

Known children are
Martha b.1887;
Harry b.1889 d.1893;
Emma b.1890 d. 1892;
John b.1892;
Joseph b. 1893;
William Henry b. 1895;
Thomas b.1897;
Victoria Ivy May b. 1899;
Louisa b. 1900.
Albert Edward b. 1903;
Rose b. 1905;
George Stanley; b. 1910;

The 1911 census shows that they had 15 children
believe the ones not shown above might be

Margaret b. 1890 d.1890;
Hannah b. 1902 d.1902;
Rachel Ann b. 1906 d. 1906;

Just after 1911 Census
My grandfather lost his mother Louisa (Typhoid)
sisters Martha (Typhoid)  and Louisa (TB).
brother George Stanley
and a niece Ivy (Martha's daughter - I think)
all in the April/June quarter 1911

Thomas Pownall (Joseph's father) died 8th Nov 1915 ( my grandfather Joseph was in the trenches at that time)

Joseph and his brothers were working in a cotton factory in 1911, any help with cotton factories in locale of Smith St at the time also helpful.

I Would really appreciate any help as I am trying to write up my grandfathers story,many thanks

Steve

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Preston baptisms and burials
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
On my 1912 map of Preston, the nearest cotton mills to Smith Street were Peel Mill off Fletcher Road, Wellington Mill on Deepdale Mill Street and Deepdale Mill on Deepdale Mill Street.

Within 1/2 mile there is the major Cotton Mill called Yard Works and many others

Regards

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Rada

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Preston baptisms and burials
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
John Pownall, your grandfather's brother was my grandfather. However, I don't know much about him except that he joined the army and went to India where his second child (my mother) was born. He abandoned his wife and two children. Since we didn't really talk about him, I don't know very much. Would be most grateful to get information from you, if you have any, about his life and date of death etc. Also any information on Thomas and Louisa Pownall would be very welcome.
Thanks,
R