Author Topic: Help please Mary Berry born Ireland moved to Burnley,Lancs  (Read 3183 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Mary Berry born Ireland moved to Burnley,Lancs
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
be careful with the Mary Smith result - as trish mentioned there seems to be something wrong with the freeBMD index at that point.

I just picked Isaac to search for as he was the least common name - and maybe easier to find!

The only two surviving Irish Census are 1901 and 1911.. and Full Civil records started in 1864.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
I agree with Shane as the other woman on page could be Mary ? also. Birth cert for Isaac is needed.

I am searching to see if Mary Smith was with parents in Lancs 1851 Census.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline cjstar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Trish/Shane
looked at marriage cert but only gives out husband's surname surely it should have had her maiden name.Thankyou about info on other address did not know that either.Think your right about Harry as he is not mentioned on the 1901 census.
Hope you find something on the 1851 census that would of made her 1 yr old
                                Thanks
                                              Kellie  ;)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
Re Harry I think there were 2, one born 1870ish died 1871ish and then the other born abt 1876. He would not appear on 1901 census as he would have left home by then if he was still alive.

Just to muddy the waters I have found another marriage for a Philip Berry in 1876. Is it possible the 1871 is right and Mary is born Burnley and then she dies and he remarries another Mary from Ireland?

Isaac birth cert is a must.
Not sure abt Marriage Cert with no Brides name on it ::) :P Someone else may be able to help here.

Trish

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline cjstar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Do you think the second Mary then was isaac's mother that could explain naming a child Harry again the first Mary could of been mother to first Harry then he remarried another Mary and had his other children.Twist's and turns
I will look up Isaac's birth certificate but then again would it have only her married name on i'm not sure what do you think  ???
                        Thanks
                             Kellie  :)                               

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 16:19 BST (UK) »
I've seen the same firstname re-used after the death of a child several times in my own ancestors.... sometimes only a few years after the death of the first.

Is the marriage cert a civil document or a parish register transcript ?
I've never seen an English or Irish civil marriage document without the bride's maiden name ... maybe the original register has some damage and the surname could not be read ..that could account the unusual freebmd index results.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cjstar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane think it was the latter i will try again but believe he was married twice it is definately the second wife marriage 1870 that is my Mary will have another try Shane
Thanks for the advice you and Trish have been a great help
Hopefully i can get to the bottom of this
                          Kellie

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
I am not totally sure that he remarried but the difference in 1871/1881 census info confused me.

Also Philip Berry cannot be that of a common name.

Will look at it again tomorrow :)
Good night,
Trish

Offline cjstar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
Just another thought i have just looked on the free BMD and a Mary Smith married in Burnley the same yr and month as Philip Berry so could this be the Mary i am looking for as her name was mentioned earlier and they both tally up now with yr/place of marriage/and month of marriage just a hunch hope it's right :D
If that is the case then she would of been born in the area of Armagh.
                            Kellie