Author Topic: Holmcroft, Shettleston.  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Yiannis 76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holmcroft, Shettleston.
« on: Wednesday 12 August 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Has anyone heard of Holmcroft in Shettleston, Glasgow. It was the residence of my great grandmother at the time of her marriage in 1912? Any info would be great.

thanks

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Holmcroft, Shettleston.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately this map doesn't have many names on it, but it does show you where the buildings were in Shettleston in 1912.

http://www.nls.uk/maps/atlas/bartholomew/page.cfm?id=1206

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Yiannis 76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kirsty, it's a great map. There are a few places with croft in the title but no holmcroft, i'll keep searching.
cheers

Offline Swinton99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I do not know exactly where Holmcroft in Shettleston is, but my grandfather stayed there in April 1910, and was staying with his sister-in-law's family. I even have some pictures taken outside the house which I believe was occupied at that time by a Dr A. Macfarlane, whose wife was my late father's aunt (one of 4 sister's and 3 brother's).  I would be interested to know if you located Holmcroft or at least where it was in 1900's.

Offline Yiannis 76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 August 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, that is very interesting. My great grandmother was married in 1912 and she was a domestic servant, her usual residence was Holmcroft which i would assume was where she was also employed. Do you mind sending me scanned photos of the house? my e-mail address is (*). Do you know anything about Dr. A. Macfarlane, was he a medical doctor? There is a family tale that my g grandmother worked for a member of the clergy and she also got married there in 1912. The 1911 census would be most useful, unfortunately the Scottish one isn't out till next year.

Hope you can help

Regards

John

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Swinton99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 August 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello John,  I am happy to send you a scanned copy of the photograph I have, but apparently I cannot do this via this forum, I would require an email address. As this is only my 2nd post ever to this forum, your email address has been censored by the moderator. A few more posts and I should be able to provide you with what little I have.

In the meantime I can provide you with what I know are facts. Dr A.Macfarlane was a medical doctor, and he and his family emigrated to New Zealand in either late 1911 or early 1912. I am still trying to establish an exact date. (I wish I had been listening more intently, as a teenager, to my late Aunt who was the font of all knowledge regarding her rather large extended family; sadly I didn't, and now I wish I had!!)

From my own point of view I would be interested knowing where my own grandparents were living at that time and I may be able to piece this together from various old postcards I have. I do not have much in the way of documentation, but the 1911 census will be interesting when it is put online.

With regards to your great grandmother, do you have any name for her 'employer' at Holmcroft?

Regards
Brian

Offline Yiannis 76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 August 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I don't have a name for my great grandmothers employer at the time. She was married someone called James Storry Barrowman but i'm unsure whether this was her employer. I'm trying to establish when she went to Holmcroft as we have no idea as to her movements since the 1901 census. I look forward to seeing the photo and any other info you may find out. Likewise if i find anything i will let you know.

Thanks

John

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 August 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

If you give a wee bit more detail - e.g. your Gt. Granny's name, it would give anyone trying to help more to work on.

I presume you have her Marriage Certificate - who were her parents/were they still alive/deceased?

Any wee snippets you can add might make all the difference.

Anne

Offline Yiannis 76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 August 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Great Grandmothers birth name was Edith Annie Chapman, she married James McCafferty in 1912. Her family's movements are extensive to say the least! In 1901 Edith and her family were all living in London, by 1911 her mother and some siblings were living in Whitley Bay (father missing) whilst Edith was resident in Shettleston (Holmcroft) at the time of her marriage in 1912. This has all been verified by certs and census data. 

I have gone back three more generations in both families but i would really like to know why she moved to Glasgow and whether she first went to Whitley Bay with the rest of her family.
Also where Holmcroft was/is if it is still there.

Memories from my living relatives says she worked for a man of the cloth but thats all we have.

Cheers