Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #5: Kim Cattrall  (Read 29681 times)

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #5: Kim Cattrall
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 August 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
I like Kim Cattrall from SATC but she seems very different in real life - a nice person ;D

A very interesting episode though I agree there was some 'padding' with lingering shots on the faces of the people involved. It was a fascinating story but I felt a bit voyeuristic when Kim was telling her mum and aunts at the end as it was so personal. This was their father afterall...

At the end though I felt this man was so despicable in his behaviour he didn't really deserve all this effort made for him - though of course I am sure it was great to have closure for the family to finally know what happened. And as others on here have mentioned it was probably more common than we realise. Still leaving a wife is one thing but to cut off young children...  >:(
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 August 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed this episode. It must have been a relief to know after all these years, even if the truth is unpleasant.

I have a similar story too, my Great-Grandmother was abandoned, by her mother though. Her father died when she was 5 and her mother just vanished. She was brought up by aunts and uncles (all on her father's side) and was very much loved by them, but she was always hurt by her mother's actions.

I've been trying for a long time to find out what happened to her, I'd wondered if she'd had a breakdown but my Great-Grandmother's surviving children believe she remarried. I have been unable to trace her on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, nor can I find a marriage or death record so it's a mystery!
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 August 09 11:59 BST (UK) »

I've been trying for a long time to find out what happened to her, I'd wondered if she'd had a breakdown but my Great-Grandmother's surviving children believe she remarried. I have been unable to trace her on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, nor can I find a marriage or death record so it's a mystery!

Why don't you post a request on the appropriate board about your elusive relative. I'm sure the peeps on here will be able to help you. :)

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 August 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Evie, thanks that's a good idea, I'll give that a go!
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 August 09 12:56 BST (UK) »

I enjoyed this one! so what if they padded out the hour, I think it would have been a mistake to try and squeeze in another generation or another line...it was after all the answer to the question that Kim's family had wanted to know all these years.

I think it should also serve as a reminder that it's not just how many names and how far back you can go but that our ancestors were real living breathing people, however nice or nasty they were :D !

Suey
ps two bigamists on my tree and looking likely that there were four in oh's  :o......simply couples who could not afford to divorce and who just married someone else after their first marriages failed. 

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 August 09 13:09 BST (UK) »
Brilliant episode, very poignant, moreso for me because my great grandfather did the same thing at the same time.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline docthetinman

• RootsChat Member
  • Sarah Margaret Nora and Benny 1915
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 August 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed it and it gave me the idea that my gt gt grandparents where up to some think not right in 1900
Mccracken Cumberland and Ireland and S Yorkshire
Duffy(e) Cumberland and Ireland
Moore Cumberland and Ireland

Offline HensonYoung

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • .. aim for the stars ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 13 August 09 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, following the theme of the above posts, I too thoroughly enjoyed this episode.  What an unforgiveable, dispicable, self-centred, irresponsible specimen George Baugh was. I was a little puzzled tho that George's family - mother and sisters - also ignored those three little girls and their mother ... shame on them .......... or did I miss something here?  OH says the sisters looked a little shame faced but I must have missed that too.

Polly

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 August 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
The prize for the most over-the-top acting must go to the neighbour of one of the relatives, whose jaw dropped almost down to her knees when she opened the door to Kim and didn't close again for what seemed like several minutes., when she said it was "the best day of my life"! ;D  Had she really not been primed??

A really interesting episode, and it's good to see the programme varying the formula a bit.  I don't think we even saw a family tree, nor did we hear too much of Mark Strong's funereal tones.

Gillg

p.s. I do hope someone's passing on all our comments to Kim - she and her mother and aunts have had nothing but well-deserved compliments here. :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.