Author Topic: PICKERING  (Read 3973 times)

Offline susieque129

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PICKERING
« on: Thursday 13 August 09 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hello;

I was wondering if you could check to see if you have a James and Sarah Pickering (or some other variation of the spelling like Pickeram/Pickern, etc.)  They were married in Aughrim,Magherafelt, Londonderry in either 1826 or 1828 and would have a child or two by this time.  They were both born in this area as well.  They were protestants.

In 1831, he would have been 30 yrs old and she would have been about 26.

Thanks;
Susieque
Pickering/Pickeram/Brown/Smith

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
PICKERING
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 09 08:18 BST (UK) »
The 1831 was more of a religious census than one looking for details of each individual. It lists name of head of household only, number of males and females and gives religious breakdown- E.C. (Established Church), Presbyterian, R.C. (Roman Catholic), other.
I don't have a copy of the census for that area but perhaps someone else will be able to help you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
PICKERING
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 09 09:45 BST (UK) »

Aughrim appears to be in the parish of Artrea where the surname
Pickram was clustered.

1831 heads of household in Aughrim, Artrea - Francis, George, John, Mary, Samuel, Sarah and
William Pickram.

James Pickram head of household, Ballymaguigan, Artrea.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
PICKERING
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is also a James PICKHAM listed in the parish of Artrea.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline susieque129

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PICKERING
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello;

Thank you!  It at least gives something more to work with at this point.  I have been brickwalled, so to speak, with my James and Sarah Pickering/Pickram.

When I look at the map, Aughrim is a road going by or through Magherafelt.  Where is Artrea?  Sorry for all the questions, I'm not sure how the villages, townlands and parishes work in Ireland.

Thanks again;
Susieque

Offline susieque129

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PICKERING
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello;

Just thought I would add that James Pickering/Pickeram had children named William, John and Francis.  The names William, John, Francis and George were common in the early family that settled here in Nova Scotia. 

My gg-grandfather, John, son of James had daughters named Mary, Esther & Sarah and sons - Francis, John, and George.  I'm not sure whether to think that this is a family tradition or just common names of the times.

The date of James and Sarah's marriage I found on the Latter Day Saints site, but no further info seems to be available on parentage.  Mind you, I had to search under a myriad of spellings to find that info even with their soundex.  Each spelling would bring up different files.  Their are some very interesting spellings, I must say, lol.

Cheers;
Susieque

Offline susieque129

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PICKERING
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hello;

I have found on the LDS site that James Pickering/Pickram and Sarah Glassey were married in Aughrim, Woods Chapel, Londonderry and they also had at least two children born there:  William John Pickering b. 02 dec 1827 and Mary Jane Pickering b. 04 Apr 1829.

I have also found a Catherine Pickerim b. 01 Dec 1799 in Aughrim.  Her father was James Pickerum. (so many variations for this name!)  I am trying to find a link that this may be my James's (b. 1801) sister.

Cheers;
Susieque

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PICKERING
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 21 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I did my paternal family tree some time ago, and found the earliest female to be Mary A Pickering married Thomas Wanlock at Macosquin 1858, he is not a problem at all, but the fact that she lived at Bushtown, near Coleraine surprised me - I had always known that Pickering was a "south of the county" name. Her father was William.  I reckoned she might have lived at Bushtown as she worked there.  I put this one on the back burner.  Now an Ancestry DNA result and subsequent contact shows that I have a 4th cousin approx  through Pickering/Lennox, Castledawson area.  But I cannot find a William who may have had a daughter Mary A of marriageable age 1858.  Any help welcome.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald