Author Topic: Help with Connor?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Alberta exile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Connor?
« on: Thursday 13 August 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for info on Elizabeth Connor
She lived in Glasgow.
On September 11th 1918 she gave birth to Robert Connor.Her name was changed shortly after this to the family that took her in which was Murray.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Connor?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Alberta exile,

Have you any more information on what happened to Elizabeth and/or Robert? If I'm reading your post correctly, Elizabeth was taken in by the Murray family and afterwards used that name as her own. Did she marry? As for Robert, was his name also changed to Murray? Did he marry or do you know when he died etc?

Every bit of information helps. Connor is quite a common name with lots of families. There are 13 Elizabeth Connors on the 1901 census in Lanarkshire, all born 5 years either side of 1898. Only two have fathers as Robert, if she used the name for her own son.

hume :)

Offline Alberta exile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Hume
Thanks for the reply.
Robert Murray was my Dad and he was illegitimate.
My Mum and Dad started dating sometime after 1942.
My Dad got leave to attend Elizabeth Connors funeral, so she died between 1942 and 1945.
I think she was young when she had my Dad in 1918 so I think she was probably in her 40s when she died.
I just pulled a death certificate for an Elizabeth Williamson Connor died Oct 15 1944 age 44 years, Govan.Her father was Michael James Connor d. a coal miner.Her mother was Elizabeth Connor d. m.s. Williamson.
The confusing part is that the record shows Elizabeth was married to William Murray?I know she was taken in by the family, but this would indicate that she married one of the sons of the family that took her in.Govan is the area that my Dad grew up so that fits.
Any thoughts?

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Seems possible that Elizabeth could have been taken in by the family and later married one of them. Their marriage shows on SP as 1924 in Govan, so a few years after your dad's birth. Who registered Elizabeth's death? Was it William?

Do you have your dad's birth certificate? If so, where was he born and what was Elizabeth's occupation at the time? May help to find whereabouts Elizabeth was staying at that time.

hume :)

I have just realised my post does come across as asking a lot of questions. :-[ I don't mean to be a nuisance, just trying to help and little bits of information can really open up a solution etc.

Offline Alberta exile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Hume
Coincidentally after my last post my brother called me and from what he told me it appears that it was not the family taking Elizabeth in, it was acceptance of my Dad by William Murray when he ultimately married Elizabeth Connor.I guess it was how things were perceived back then that was important.
So my Aunt was in fact my Dads half sister, same Mum different Dads.
I guess my Dads birth certificate would be the next step.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 09 17:21 BST (UK) »
Great news. :) You may find your dad's birth certificate was originally registered as Connor, but with an RCE (register of corrected entries) added stating William accepted paternity. The marriage certificate will be able to confirm Elizabeth's details, including parents, and also give you a start on the Murray side.

hume