Author Topic: WILLIAMS Plymouth Devon  (Read 3323 times)

Offline plymouthboi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILLIAMS Plymouth Devon
« on: Thursday 13 August 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to locate a baptism record for a Amelia Williams who was born between 1835 and 1837 Plymouth Devon. Her father was Joseph Williams a sawyer and her mother Susanne or Susan (maiden name Rowe or Delarue). I have checked the Devon Family History Society CD 'The Deanery Of The Three Towns with no luck. I have the birth certificates of a brother and a sister but have been unable to find any baptisms for any of the children. The 1851 census for Plymouth shows the Williams were living in Salem Street Plymouth ( very near to the Barbican). Further research shows that members of the familly lived  in that street between 1838 and 1902. I have really hit a brick wall and do not know where to look next of course my search is being made more difficult by living so far away from Plymouth.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thankyou

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Plymouth Devon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
Joseph WILLIAMS didn't actually marry Susan ROWE until 1843 in Stoke Damerel. The marriage certificate will indicte if Susan was reviously married or  spinster. It seems likely to me that the children were baptised with their mother's surname, not WILLIAMS.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline plymouthboi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Plymouth Devon
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 09 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you  for your help Dob7.

Yes, I have that marriage certificate. There were 3 other children after Amelia, who were Joseph,  twins Martha and Rebecca all these children died before 1843.
I will check under the surname of Rowe.

The Reason I need to find a baptism for Amelia is that on her death certificate it says her mum was Susan Delarue yet her brothers and sisters birth certificates says their mother was Susan Rowe.

Joseph Williams and Susan Rowe's marriage certificate says that Susan's father was Martin Rowe/Row who was a French pilot. Having got back as far as Martin's marriage record in 1810 (which also states he was a french pilot) I am trying to find out if he really was a Delarue and was born in France.

It has been suggested that maybe Amelia had a different mother from the other children but I find it to much of a coincidence the Delarue is a french version of Rowe and that Susan Rowe's father was a French pilot.

Anyway Thank you.

One day I hope to solve this mystery.

Offline plymouthboi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAMS Plymouth Devon
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
Looked through my DFHS disc's again and did not find any Amelia Rowe's baptized with a mother called Susan. Back to the drawing board I suppose. I would just be happy if I found some evidence of any of Amelia's brothers or sisters being baptized.

I did find 2 Amelia Williams on my DFHS Plymouth Baptism index disc but it only gives the date of the baptism and page number.

These are what I have found.
Charles The Martyr  Church, Plymouth

Amelia Williams 17/05/1840 pge 3
Amelia Mary Williams 12/05/1839 pge 265. I have a strong feeling Amelia also has a middle intial E or F this varies depending on the source.

I am slightly doubtful one of these could be the one I am looking for. None of Amelia's Brothers or Sisters appear on the disc either.

I suppose there could be a possibility they were not baptised. Does anybody know if many baptisms took place at Salem Methodist Chapel? This also could be a possibility. I'll see if somebody could do a look up.

Thanks.

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 August 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
Looked through my DFHS disc's again and did not find any Amelia Rowe's baptized with a mother called Susan. Back to the drawing board I suppose. I would just be happy if I found some evidence of any of Amelia's brothers or sisters being baptized.

I did find 2 Amelia Williams on my DFHS Plymouth Baptism index disc but it only gives the date of the baptism and page number.

These are what I have found.
Charles The Martyr  Church, Plymouth

Amelia Williams 17/05/1840 pge 3
Amelia Mary Williams 12/05/1839 pge 265. I have a strong feeling Amelia also has a middle intial E or F this varies depending on the source.

I am slightly doubtful one of these could be the one I am looking for. None of Amelia's Brothers or Sisters appear on the disc either.

I suppose there could be a possibility they were not baptised. Does anybody know if many baptisms took place at Salem Methodist Chapel? This also could be a possibility. I'll see if somebody could do a look up.

Thanks.

Just a thought. If they were a Catholic family, their baptisms may have been registered in St Mary's Chapel Catholic Church, Stonehouse. I don't know where these records may be found now if indeed they still exist, perhaps Plymouth Cathedral holds the records now. http://www.plymouthdata.info/Churches-Roman%20Catholic-StMary-ST.htm
Is it possible your gentleman was a french Huguenot whose family fled persecution from late 17th to late 18th centuries? It may be the reason why he found himself with french ancestry in the British Navy fighting his ancestral countrymen during the Napoleonic Wars? He may have thought to anglicise his name to Rowe at this time. The names Roue, Rau, Rew and Rue are all possible Huguenots/Devonshire surnames apparently.

Best
Debbie

Offline plymouthboi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 13:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Debbie.

I am open to any suggestions so will explore all avenues.

I am still pretty certain the Williams family were not Catholics. Susan William's father and mother  Martin and Susanna  were married at St Andrew's church and most of their children were baptized at this church.

In 1834 Susanna Rowe the widow of Martin Rowe was living on Kinterbury Street Plymouth but I have found no record of her or the children on the 1841 census. The boys Martin Francis and William seem to have disappeared also.

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
Incidentally
Thank you  for your help Dob7.

Yes, I have that marriage certificate. There were 3 other children after Amelia, who were Joseph,  twins Martha and Rebecca all these children died before 1843.
I will check under the surname of Rowe.

The Reason I need to find a baptism for Amelia is that on her death certificate it says her mum was Susan Delarue yet her brothers and sisters birth certificates says their mother was Susan Rowe.

Joseph Williams and Susan Rowe's marriage certificate says that Susan's father was Martin Rowe/Row who was a French pilot. Having got back as far as Martin's marriage record in 1810 (which also states he was a french pilot) I am trying to find out if he really was a Delarue and was born in France.

It has been suggested that maybe Amelia had a different mother from the other children but I find it to much of a coincidence the Delarue is a french version of Rowe and that Susan Rowe's father was a French pilot.

Anyway Thank you.

One day I hope to solve this mystery.

I have a William V Williams marrying a great aunt of mine Margaret Glasby (Gillespie) in 1910 which is why I am interested in the Willams side of your family. I haven't found out much about this side of the family yet as this is very new research for me. Margaret is newly married in 1911 census and living with her mother Joanna, father John and sister Mary and young neice Elsie, brother Cornelius and an adopted brother Herbert Bowden at Granby Street. I have a feeling William Williams was in the navy.

You say that on the marriage cert of Susan and Joseph it states the brides father as Martin Rowe/Row a french pilot. In my own research, Margaret Glasbys elder sister was christened Mary Gillepsie and yet her marriage certificate is Mary Glasby. When I checked the naval records of their father John, it quite clearly stated "John Glasby FORMERLY KNOWN AS GILLESPIE." I think if very safe to assume that both Martins are one and the same.

Offline Morris57

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I am a distant relative in the Williams ancestry.

There are trees on myheritage uk, ancestry.co.uk and a tree on familysearch.org

Her birth date was 25th December 1834.  She became a mormon and married Edward Foster in 1854.
They eventually moved to UTAH.  Records in Latter day Saints (familysearch.org).

My interest is in finding information about her father Joseph Williams B. 1810 who married Susanna/Susan Rowe in 1843. Can you help?