Author Topic: Burial for George Groom please.  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Mrs.Coppertop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burial for George Groom please.
« on: Thursday 13 August 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
I`ve been trying to find a death or burial for George Groom.

George Groom was born December quarter 1856 in Downham registration district. He married June quarter 1876 again in Downham district.

I`ve found him on the 1881 Census living in West Winch but can not find him after that although his wife is listed as Head of the house living in West Winch on both 1891 and 1901 Census but on the 1911 Census she is now showing as Widow.

Does anyone have access to NBI 2 who could carry out a check for George Groom. If there are any listed perhaps the reverse age calculation back to his birth year could rule possible candidates in or out.

Any other tips or suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Pepper pre 1900 Norfolk.
Cousins pre 1900 Norfolk

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burial for George Groom please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
No luck I am afraid there is no burial for George Groom listed on the NBI.

I have found only 1 George Groom of the right age on the BMD death index ,having looked from 1901 to 1911.
George Groom died  1905  aged 49  Sunderland  10a 425.

You certainly have a puzzle on your hands.  The family increased so he couldn't have been away all the time !!
Perhaps he was a Shepherd they have to spend nights away from home.

Good luck

Regards    Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Mrs.Coppertop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Amber39 for your reply and the details you enclose.

According to the Census forms that George Groom was listed on he was either a Farm Steward or Gardener.

Since placing my post I`ve located baptism records for most of the children. The first five children baptised have parents listed as George and Hannah.  The sixth and seventh children baptised Jane Violet in 1891 and Edith Rose in 1894 just have Hannah listed. Ran out of time to look for Mabel.

As I`m struggling to find George in 1891 and 1901 perhaps the baptism records for Jane Violet and Edith Rose tell us that George was not on the scene??

Thanks again Mrs. Coppertop
Pepper pre 1900 Norfolk.
Cousins pre 1900 Norfolk

Offline KMiles95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Mrs.Coppertop

I have hit the exact same wall!
The will of the George Groom that died in Sunderland, Durham in 1905 leaves his belongings to a Jane Groom (Widow) which appears to be a complete different family leaving me even more lost - any breakthroughs though I will let you know!

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 18 06:40 BST (UK) »
Using the baptism of the children from Harriet Mary to Kate they have parents as George and Hannah Groom.
Children Violet(Jane Frossle Violet), Edith Rose and Mabel the parent is Hannah Groom all at West Winch, no father listed.

George either died or left after Kate was baptized in 1889.

Look for parish relief records Hannah was a char woman and may have needed assistance