Author Topic: William Henry Cox - Any Census 1841 - 1891  (Read 12567 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Cox - Any Census 1841 - 1891
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 August 09 20:34 BST (UK) »
Or perhaps they met when they were working together somewhere else - and then moved to Isle of Man together.

Or perhaps as you say - he had been training her - and she took over his business when he died..

But it does sound like the right Alice (Emily)

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Liz I can't thank you enough for using your credits to help me, you are so kind.  Her occupation of electro plater and gilder really must mean that this was the Alice who was on the 1901 census with William Henry Cox and as you say I wonder if he trained her up in his occupation.   Also, the address where Alice Emily lived was spot on with the address where William Henry Cox died in 1910.  I now have the birthplace of Alice, and I have been trying to find a birth for her, but with no luck, I also saw that marriage you talked about of a WHC and a Margaret Spanner (1896 Isle of Wight) and wondered if she had called herself a completely different name what we know her as - Alice.  A William Henry Cox and a Margaret Helen Cox (b Isle of Wight) were found on the 1911 index living in Wandsworth London, so that does rule out that couple.  Alice now known as Alice Emily was really intent on calling herself the wife of William Henry Cox wasn't she? so perhaps one day a marriage for them may surface. 
 Milly, perhaps they did meet when they were working together elsewhere, I know in a Kelly's Directory from 1891, Sussex WHC entry was as 'Cox and Co Electro Plater and Gilder, she may have been the Co!

Ewan

Offline margaret elizabeth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
Ewan i think few things we need to try and find out,
1] marriage of whc and alice emily
2] death of alice emily ]
 There was no will for whc which a family historian woman told me is odd how he never left one because he would not have wanted her to be with out,
 A will for alice emily

Offline margaret elizabeth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Ewan can you e-mAIL ME PLEASE ,(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php