Author Topic: My Brick Wall - William Swaby b.1847 St Pancras  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Brick Wall - William Swaby b.1847 St Pancras
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Before searching for William's in Pancras on earlier censuses, considering what I've already stated about the inaccuracy of birthplaces on army records, so this could be a needle in a haystack search, can we first clarify the questions asked about the first marriage and child?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Before searching for William's in Pancras on earlier censuses, considering what I've already stated about the inaccuracy of birthplaces on army records, so this could be a needle in a haystack search, can we first clarify the questions asked about the first marriage and child?

Regards

Valda

Regarding the child, the birth registration is as follows:

Birth Dec qtr 1877   

SWABY Minnie     
Dover 2a 954

Behind the scenes I have had a look in the overseas/military indexes.  Unfortunately I could find no trace of a marriage for William Swaby, other than the Poona one which is already known about.

Anna ???
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 20:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have the birth cert for Minnie, it will show her mother's maiden name.

You may then be able to locate the marriage between William and Martha - the GRO has many errors and William may not be indexed, while Martha is.

Do you know what happened to Mnnie after her mother died - probably her mother's family looked after her, but you never know; William's sister or mother may have taken her in.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

The military time line suggests that William could have married Martha in Ireland or the Channel Islands

Ireland – 29th June 1872
Channel Islands – 26th June 1875
Aldershot – 27th May 1876

The record may not be in the GRO collection.

All the best

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was a William Swaby marriage in 1873 in Londonderry (volume 17 page 178). There seems to be a marriage of a Martha Williams at the same reference but that doesn't mean they of course married each other or this is the correct William Swaby.

Was the Gloucestershire regiment stationed in Londonderry when they were in Ireland?

Minnie's birth certificate would of course confirn her mother's maiden name.

Regards

Valda

Offline Mygenes2006

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Minnies birth certificate states that her mothers maiden name is Williamson.  However as I know from experience that might not rule out Martha Williams and I will certainly look into it.  Is it possible to order marriage certificates for Irish weddings?

I don't know where in Ireland they were stationed.

Minnies birth certificate reads as follows: 15 Dec 1877 Western Heights, Hougham, Minnie Girl Father William Swaby Mother Martha Swaby formerly Wiliamson, father occupation: Col Seargent 61st Regt, Residence of informant: W Swaby, Father, Western Heights, Hougham, registered 29 Dec 1877 and then the registrars

As far as we are aware Minnie remained with her father after her mothers death, as she later went on to marry in India.  Her mother either died whilst they were in stationed in Malta or after they moved to Bombay in 1880.

Minnie went on to marry Frederick Dudley Johnson a Corporal in the British Army, Norfolk Regiment in India, they then had a daughter born  in Bombay, India in 1902.

His second daughter Annette went on to marry my great grandfather in 1915 in Dehli.  For some reason Annette decided to use the surname Willoughby-Swaby and also claimed her father was William Willoughby Swaby but his army documents and name on the birth certificate lead us to believe this was just her being a bit whimsical which apparently she could be, she did all sorts of odd things throughout her life. 

I looked recently at the Thackers Indian Directory for 1885 and found an entry for a W Swaby (spelt Swabey) sub condr (not sure what that stands for) Purhundhar.  I have no idea if this is my William or not but do know he was stationed (or was) at the santarium in Purhundhar in 1902 when he left the army. 

On his army records in relation to his discharge it says under the heading 'Disability or Cause of Discharge' that 'having reached the age for discharge Bombay unattached (then a word I can't decipher) Purhundhar Sanitarium'

Under occupation and place of birth it says 'St Pancras, London'

Gobbo I shall look at the other entries and see if there is any possibility of them being my William.

Please feel free to ask any other questions and I shall do my best to respond.  Thank you all so much for your help it is very much appreciated.  MyGenes
Derrick, Dudley, Quince, Swaby, Wild,

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 08:09 BST (UK) »

Offline Mygenes2006

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda, thanks for that.  I never knew you could order Irish certificates.  MyGenes
Derrick, Dudley, Quince, Swaby, Wild,

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 August 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
I hope this might help, I have a Maurice Swaby on the edge of my tree.  He was born 1902 in Louth, Lincolnshire.  He had no children in this marriage.

I was contacted on GR from someone in a 'One Name Study' or something like that.   Sorry I can't be more exact I hope others on here can clarify this.

I deleted the message some time ago.   But the name Swaby is without doubt real.

Steven
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg