Author Topic: James Charles Kelly  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Charles Kelly
« on: Saturday 15 August 09 06:48 BST (UK) »
I have a paper on the Estate of my husband's Great Grandfather James Charles Kelly which states he died 22 July 1926 in Germiston. On it it also states he was married in Boksburg Transvaal. I know he married Annie Thornley and as I could not find anything in U.K. assumed they were married in South Africa. Their oldest son was my husband's Grandfather who was born 10 July 1898 in Germiston. Could anyone tell me how I go about getting certificates from South Africa?
Parker - Devon and Surrey, Walden - Northampton, Skinner - Devon, Freer - Hammersmith, Newcombe St. Pancras, Sweeting - Beckenham Kent, Elsey - Surrey, Godsmark - Sussex, Spring - Clapham, Willis - Chelsea, Gellard - Middlesex, Jones - Chelsea

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: James Charles Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
HI there is a website http://southafricanfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/2006/08/22/birth-marriage-and-death-records/ that explains the procedures (and the pitfalls)
Cheers

Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Do you know what his occupation was?
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 09 05:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gillian, will look into that.

Ruth, he worked in the gold mines, I have a photo of him in a big group of men.
Parker - Devon and Surrey, Walden - Northampton, Skinner - Devon, Freer - Hammersmith, Newcombe St. Pancras, Sweeting - Beckenham Kent, Elsey - Surrey, Godsmark - Sussex, Spring - Clapham, Willis - Chelsea, Gellard - Middlesex, Jones - Chelsea

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi if you look in NAAIRS there is a possible record for him
DEPOT                    TAB                                                                   
SOURCE                  RAD                                                                   
TYPE                        LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO          90                                                                   
SYSTEM                   01                                                                   
REFERENCE             2172                                                                 
PART                          1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          CLAIM FOR COMPENSATION (WITWATERSRAND AREA). JAMES CHARLES KELLY.     
STARTING               1903                                                                 
ENDING                  1903   

And the death record is there as well

DEPOT                     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE                   MHG                                                                   
TYPE                         LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO             0                                                                     
SYSTEM                      01                                                                   
REFERENCE               60768                                                                 
PART                          1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          KELLY, JAMES CHARLES.                                                 
STARTING                19260000                                                             
ENDING                  19260000                                                             
REMARKS               SURVIVING SPOUSE ANNIE KELLY.

You could try write to the Transvaal Archives and see if they will copy them for you.

Regards

Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 09 06:53 BST (UK) »
Gillian, quoted all the information you gave me and managed to get a copy. Definately him as it states the name of his brother in law B. Thornley. Very interesting reading and gives an address where he lived and two companies he worked for. Very many thanks for your help and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Tygerr

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
You could try write to the Transvaal Archives and see if they will copy them for you.

The electronic branch of the Genealogical Society of South Africa (eGSSA) will take photographs of the Transvaal archive documents for a very reasonable fee (and then email them to you): http://www.eggsa.org/sales/eshop_e_dc_docs.htm

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 September 09 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information, v ery much appreciated.