Author Topic: 10th Hussars  (Read 20934 times)

Offline Suznor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
10th Hussars
« on: Saturday 15 August 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help to trace the 10th Hussars ?

My Great Great Great Grandad  Richard Hamblin was in the 10th Hussars.  In the 1861 census i have him stationed at the Ipswich Cavalary Barrack just before he marries a Sarah Stannard.   The birth certificate of his son Richard Henry Hamblin in 1864, states his father's occupation as being in the 10th Hussars  but after his date i can not find any trace of him until the 1881 census.  Can anyone tell me where the 10th Hussars were between 1864 and 1881 ?

Regards
Suznor 

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 10th Hussars
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 18:46 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where the 10th Hussars were between 1864 and 1881 ?

1855-56 the regiment were involved in the final stages of the Crimean War
1856-73 inclusive they were back in UK, although I don't have any specific locations for you
1873-78 in India
1878-79 they were involved in the 2nd Afghan War
1879-84 still stationed in India

Looking at the medal roll for the Afghan War, I see 19 Pte R.Hamblin, 10th Hussars is listed! He received the medal without clasp. The roll was compiled in Oct 1881, and at that time he's listed as Discharged.
So he left the army sometime between 1879 and 1881 and returned to the UK.

Here's the medal
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/afghanistan_medal_1878.htm

Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suznor

The 10th Hussars at Ipswich in 1861 was only a detachment. The main force was at Norwich. They left Norwich in September 1861 for York, and left for Ireland in April 1863. Left Ireland in May 1868 moving between Aldershot, Brighton, Hounslow, Colchester and Blandford before embarking for India in January 1873.

These places are where the main force was based. Detachments could be within, say, a 50 mile radius, if the accommodation could not take all the men together, Or if they were spread out while ‘assisting the civil powers', ie acting as a police force.

In addition, about 10% of the strength could be in a separate Depot used for recruitment and training. This always stayed in the UK, and could also be with the main strength, or located on its own. To be certain where each man was you will have to look at the muster books in Kew. By the mid 1870s the muster books should record the names of the wives plus the ages of each child against the each man on the married roll. While in Kew you could look to see if his papers survive. If you cannot get to Kew Findmypast will be putting surviving papers online by 2011.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

If you are looking for other BMDs you should try the overseas/regimental BMDs on (say) Findmypast. The index will give the regiment, although I have found that there are a few mistakes in the regiment quoted, so if you find any Hamblins, but not under 10th Hussars, it may be worthwhile sending off for the certificate.

Civil registration of births started in Ireland in 1864 and with an uncommon name you should be able to find any Irish children.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Neil/Suznor

I have the casualty roll for the 2nd Afghan War and the 10th Hussars lost one man killed and six wounded in action with the enemy. However one officer and 45 men drowned while crossing the Kabul River.

Ken

Offline Suznor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 August 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
Ken/Neil

Thank you for your information.  I now have a lead to follow.

Regards

Suznor

Offline Grahamgl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have just registered on this site and found this thread.
I have been tracing an ancestor who shows on the 1861 Census as being a private in 10th Hussars, Pocklethorpe, Norwich. I am unable to find him on the 1871 Census.
I have three questions I would appreciate help with:
a. Could a soldier (Private) have taken his family with him when he went abroad?
b. The majority of people living around my, Barrack Street, ancestor appear to have no connection with the Army at all. In the Hansard for 4 June 1866 it was stated that "it was intended to give up the barracks at Norwich as the troops formerly quartered in them could be accommodated in the new barracks at Colchester.  If this was the case why were non military personnel living in the barracks.
c. Could someone point me in the direction of an on-line map of the barracks in circa 1860?
Thanks
Graham

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

Each rank had a number of vacancies on the married roll.  If he was given permission to marry the whole family would go overseas. If he married without permission he would have to leave them behind. Men serving overseas could have some of their pay paid to relatives back home. The army were quite happy to help to ensure relatives did not become a burden on the parish.

The main force of the 10th Hussars was in Hounslow for the 1871 census. You can go to Kew to see if his service record survives, or wait for Findmypast to put them online 'by 2011'. Otherwise you can research the Muster Books in Kew. The one for 1871-72 will tell you if anyone was in a small detachment away from Hounslow. But I would expect his family to be in Hounslow anyway.. This assumes he was still serving.

You need to ask in the Norfolk section for any online OS plans. But even better, the NA has two plans in Kew - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=norwich+barracks&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

One is from 1892, which isn't in keeping with it being 'given up' in the 1860s. It would be better to go to Kew and take a digital picture yourself. Or you could press REQUEST THIS and get a quote from the NA to print them off. The one from 1849 may need A2, and a colour print that size was over £20, ten years old.

If it was still there in 1905 you can buy a reprinted OS plan from Alan Godfrey Maps for £2.25 plus postage. But they have a few covering Norwich, so you must first find where it was. You should also find it in 1851 to make sure it was the same one.

If you got the information about non-military personnel from a census you need to find it on Ancestry and post the link. Barracks were run by the Barracks Department. They employed civilians – usually ex-soldiers.

Ken

Offline Annice1913

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 January 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I have the enlistment papers for a great uncle who server in the 10th Hussars from 1889 to 1919.
They are quite a jumble of in formation as to where he served but basically it looks as it was in England, India, South Africa and possibly France in WW1. Can anyone tell me the dates where the 10th were stationed during this period of time?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 January 10 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can you give his name, place of birth, date of enlistment and age on joining. Thanks

Ken