Author Topic: 10th Hussars  (Read 20936 times)

Offline Suznor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 10th Hussars
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 October 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
More 10th Hussars!!

I have just discovered another member of my family who served in the 10th Hussars.  He was Private John William Wigham born 1887 in Gillingham in Kent. 
The only records I can find for him are 1911 census which states he is overseas and his WWI medals record which reads as following :
Victory - (with X X beside it) CY/125B
British -                                 CY/125B
14 Star 6 387                        CY/13
C + R.I.V.B / 7176
What i would like to know is where was he in 1911?
He seem to have won a few medals - were these medals awarded for special reasons or are they stanard service medals ( I hope no takes offence at my terminology as i do realise that all medals won by soldiers are special) and if they were won for special reasons how can i go about finding out what he did?
And lastly where should i look for any other information about his army service as i think he survived the war as i cannot find any death record for him.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 October 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
The 10th Hussars were in India (Rawalpindi) in 1911. You are lucky if he is recorded in full, as the numerator should only have recorded his initials. They stayed there until 1913. They were in South Africa at the start of WW1. His three WW1 medals were 'standard'. There should be a date he 'entered theatre' in order to qualify for the 1914 Star.

I don't know what C + R.I.V.B / 7176 means. IV would mean 'Issue Voucher', and CRV would mean 'Certified Issue Voucher'. Both would have a date attached. The movement of medals was carefully recorded. CIVs occurred when they were returned for re-naming, or because they could not be delivered. IV was the medal(s) being sent out. He may have received the 1914 Star up to two years before the 'pair'.

XX against the Victory and BWM (they were issued together) is usually matched by marks near the rank and regiment - to show what was impressed on the medals.

Ken

Offline Suznor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken,

This info is really great.  Could you tell me when the 10thn Hussars ship out to Rawalpindi India - had they been there awhile when the 1911 census was taken?

Many thanks
Suzanne 

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne

They were in South Africa for the Boer War and left for India about 22 September 1902. They were in Mhow until 1908 before moving to Rawalpindi.

I have already checked the Boer War medal roll and he is not listed. So he probably went straight to India after initial training (probably in Canterbury).

btw...there is a George Wigham on the Boer War medal roll for the Imperial Yeomanry. Any connection? The IY were mounted infantry raised during the war. They usually served for 12 months.

Ken

Offline Suznor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Once again thanks.  I dont know if George Wigham from the Boer War medal list is related but my John William Wigham did have a brother George Henry  who was in the Royal Army Service Corps T/19648 as a driver during WWI.  I dont know when George joined the army or if he transfered regiments - is this possible?  Also i am not sure when John joined the army could you suggest where i might look for that?
The father of these two brothers was in the Royal Marines and i was lucky enough to find some information about him on ancestry.

Regards
Suzanne 

Offline Prolificmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 October 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
 ???
Hello,
I am new to ths site. I am desperately trying to find the war records of Harry Bailey born 1882 who served in the 10th Hussars in South Africa,ww1 and afterwards in France on exhumation duty. He rose from being in the territorial army in Pontefract Yorkshire to the rank of captain by the end of his service in France.
His last remaining child is approaching 90 and is not in good health but would like to know what Harry did to achieve the rank of captain.
Thank you

Offline Russrus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
10th Hussars
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
In the photo Back Row Top left I believe to be my Great Grandfather Charles Evenden b1870.  I have found him on the 1891 census at the Barracks, Fulford, Yorkshire, England, apart from that in all the other census's he is at home where he  becomes a father every 2 years. Anyone have any ideas on the photo? And am I to guess he didn't serve to long? He got married in 1873!

MOD CORRECTION: Marriage is apparently 1893 (see later post)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 November 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome

Can you correct the dates? You have him born in 1870 and marrying three years later. And knowing where he was born will help.

He seems to have served long enough to make Corporal. Have you looked for his service record on Findmypast? He does not appear to have served in the Boer War. So he may have transferred to a regiment that did not go there or he was discharged before the Boer War started. Which is just about possible given his DoB.

Ken

Offline Russrus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 November 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Sorry my mistake. Married in 1893. Born Islington London. I have a couple of photographs this one and another big group shot. My Dad went to the museum in winchester on Tuesday and was told the group one is the 7th Hussars? Not sure which one comes first though.