Author Topic: 10th Hussars  (Read 20929 times)

Offline Prolificmary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 10th Hussars
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 December 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm posting again for any information about the war record of Harry Bailey born 1882 in Pontefract.
He served in Africa then in WW1 in the 10th Hussars. He stayed in France after the war on exhumation duty.We now believe he received the Croix de Guerre but do not know what for.
His elderly daughter would have a great surprise if I could find out for her for Christmas.
Bev

Offline knowlite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 December 11 23:38 GMT (UK) »
HI! Suznor,

During the 1860's the 10th Hussars where stationed in Ireland.

I too had a ancestor who was in the Hussars. I found his military history by

checking the Muster Rolls held in the National Archives.

Cheers,

Shropshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Rutland.

Offline faraci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Good morning.
Can you tell me where can I get hold of  the military record of my great, great grandfather who was in the 10th Hussars. His name was James Cook/e (born 1833 in Ledbury, Herefordshire). In 1851 he was a private soldier at Maidstone Barracks. I can't find him on the census in 1861, but his wife of one year is lodging in Northampton. In 1871 he is a sargeant 10th Hussars at Kensington Barracks. His son, Alfred Thomas, born 1863 was in the 17th Hussars in 1891.   
How did someone gain admission to the Hussars? Was it on merit or did you need contacts/financial backing?
Suzanne

Offline knowlite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
HI!,

I had an ancestor in the 10th Hussars. Like yours I found him in Norfolk in 1861, and could not find him after that.

I discovered that  the 10th were posted to Ireland during the 1860's.

To find out more you need to visit the National Archives at Kew and check out the Muster Registers

for the 1860's.

Cheers.

Derek.

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 November 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just stumbled on this thread and see that there is some knowledge about the 'Tenth' here.

Briefly, I am trying to find a relative of my wife Rowland DOWNIE, b 1891 near Birmingham, England who, at the time of the 1911 census of England and Wales was a soldier serving in the 10th Royal Hussars when they were based at Rawalpindi, India - now Pakistan.

Can anyone suggest what may have happened to him after 1911?

I can find no record of him in any of the BMD indexes for the UK or Ireland, nothing on any of Ancestry's military sites Medal Rolls, Service documents etc, nor on any of the migration sites FindMyPast, Ancestry, Ellis Island. Would the regiment have kept records that were not transferred elsewhere within Army/War Office Departments?

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline knowlite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 November 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
HI! Suznor,

The 10th. where stationed in Ireland during the 1860's.

You would need to contact the National Archives to access the

Muster Registers for any info.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 November 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
The 10th Hussars went to South Africa after India and were recalled to fight in France in WW1.

Two senarios I can think of are:

He served in the UK for the whole of WW1 and so did not qualify for WW1 medals. If he served out his enlistment his normal discharge would be after 1920 and therefore his record will still be with the MOD.

Or, he died in India or South Africa in which case, as it was before WW1, the War Office would not have kept his record. Some regiments kept their own copies so you should contact the regimental museum. I would also ask if they can tell you were they served in India and South Africa. But then you will have to dig out church registers.

Ken

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Ken

Thank you for your help. I have emailed the Curator at the museum for further advice.

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline chouse17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! I too have a GGrandfather that was in the 10th Hussars. William Charles Scott born 1885 in Haverill Suffolk. I have found him on the 1911 census as stationed in Rawalpindi, India and have successfully identified him in a year book from 1910 of the corps. He is in the photo of the signallers. I have not been able to find his enlistment papers and assume this would have happened after 1901 as he appears on the census. He marries in Canada in 1913. I believe he would have transfered to 18th Hussars and then the 1st Hussars. Does this mean his records were transferred to Canada?

I would advise everyone to have a look at this wonderful site that a man has created for his ancestor Major Roland Pillinger who lead the 10th for a considerable amount of time. There are many photos that might be of interest. http://www.majorpillinger.com/