Author Topic: 10th Hussars  (Read 20937 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 10th Hussars
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 January 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annice

Thanks for the PM

10th Hussars

= Apr 1888 - York
= Aug 1891 - Curragh
= Oct 1891 – Dublin
= Sep 1892 – Cahir
= Jul 1894 – Ballincollig
= May 1895 – Newbridge
= Jun 1897 – Aldershot
= Sep 1897 – Canterbury
= Sep 1899 – Aldershot

= Sailed for South Africa (Boer War), 6 November 1899
= Sailed for India, 22 September 1902
    = 1903 – Mhow
    = 1908 – Rawalpindi
= Sailed for South Africa, 1913
    = 1914 – Potchefstroom

For WW1 service see this - http://www.1914-1918.net/hussars.htm

These are the locations of the regiment – usually about 90% of their strength. The remainder would have formed the depot, which stayed in the UK for the training of recruits. In the early/mid 1880s it was in Canterbury; in February 1902 it was in Hounslow. At other times it could have been with the rest of the regiment, or in Canterbury, which had a large number of cavalry barracks.

Ken

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 10 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niel,   Can you please tell me if there is an Arthur O'Regan or Roland O'Regan listed in the Afghan medal list for the 10th Hussars?     Tom
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt
Kent: Warde, Francis, Woodgate
Ireland: O'Regan (co. Clare), Bateman (co. Kerry)
South America: O'Regan
Canada (Quebec, NB): Sayers, Sayer, Taylor

Offline barnabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 June 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
I saw the topic the 10th Hussar topic on here and wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction.  My great uncle Alexander Roby [1885 - 1925] was apparently enlisted in the 10th Hussars by his uncle on the death of his father in 1901. In the 1901 census he was shown as 16years and a saddler.  The next hard information we have is a postcard he sent my mother from an army convalescent home at 4 South Terrace, Skelton in 1907. I have looked at the 'military overseas' 1911 census which lists an Alexander Robey [different spelling but the birth dates and enlistment location fit] but doesnt give regt number or location at the time.  I have a medal roll card [CY/9 - 2]for a Pte A Robey 10th Hussars, Regt No 387 awarding the 1914 Star but that is all.  Could anyone please suggest other areas of research.  Many thanks

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 June 10 11:07 BST (UK) »
A man enlisting in the 10th Hussars in 1901 would have been given a number in the 5000s with each hussar regiment having their own sequence. If he transferred to another regiment he would have been renumbered. Between the Boer War and WW1 they seem to have enlisted all hussars into the Corps of Hussars with only one sequence. My guess is that 387 was such a Corps man, as the original 387 would have enlisted 20 or 30 years before your man. But you really need an expert in the numbering used by the hussar regiments.

The NA medal web site has a much better search facility than Ancestry, so you can search for hussars with number 38? to get their name, and then look on Ancestry for their record. This will tell you when they enlisted.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=10&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

For ‘institutions’ in the 1911 census the enumerator was only supposed to enter the man’s initials. So you need to look for A Rs as well. If he was married then it will be easier to look for his family, as the married quarters recorded full names. I am surprised you cannot tell the location. Have you checked all the returns and looked at the ‘district’ description?

Service before the age of 18 did not count, so he would have signed up until he was 30, ie c1915. So you would think he served in France. He may have purchased his discharge before WW1.

If you get stuck I would post a question on both the British Medal Forum and the Great War Forum, putting ‘10th Hussars’ in the title.

Ken

Offline barnabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 June 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
Ken, I am very much obliged for your detailed information and pointers.  I shall follow your suggestions and hope that they bear fruit. The only additional info I have from talking to my 95yr old mother today was that she was told he was one of the first called up at the outbreak of war.  This would suggest to me that he was no longer in the Army at that time but was on some form of 'reserve' list.  The fact he was in a convalescent home in Oct '07 may suggest some form of medical discharge but we are fairly certain he served in India - he had a Hindustani? language bible and some local ivory jewellery which he gave to my mother.  He also told her stories of the Durbar which suggests he may have been there at the time but unfortunately that cannot be substantiated. Again, many thanks for your help..

Offline heardn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 June 10 10:53 BST (UK) »
Interesting to learn this about the 10th Hussars. One of my ancestors served with them from 1846 to 1870, leaving as 876 squadron quarter master sergeant. They were in the East Indies in the 1840s and 1850s until they went to the Crimea. Does anybody know where they would have been stationed in India?

many thanks

nick

Offline Pitsea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
This is amazing, I have been wondering why my great uncle was married in Canterbury when both he and his bride came from South London.

I know he was in the 10th before September 1920 and I know he was on the train ambushed by the IRA on Friday 24th June 1921 a in Bessbrook, Co. Tyrone where he was among the injured.

Before seeing that the Cavalry Barracks were in Canterbury, his wedding there mid 1922 had stumped me.

Thank you Ken for the information.

Trevor

Offline gildea1959

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  I am new to this chat room and hope you may help me with my quest to further my knowledge of my GGG Grandfather.

I know little of him except that he was mentioned in my GG Grandfather's wedding notice in the Sydney Morning Herald, 1871.

This 1871 newspaper article identifies my GGG Grandfather to be one "Edward Ernest Gildea from County Mayo Ireland and a Colonel of the 10th Hussars".

I would appreciate any lead to further my research.  Thank you  Andrew

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 15:32 BST (UK) »
You can usually trace the careers of officers via the London Gazette website. I cannot find any listing for an Edward Gildea - http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?geotype=London

The 1850 Army List has two officers called Gildeas - John Arthur Gildea serving with the 81st Regiment, and Stanhope Mason Gildea of the 25th Regiment. If you are sure he was an officer you need to come up with a date when you think he served.

There is an Edward Gildea living in Liverpool in the 1881 census. He was born in Ireland, but he is a 46 year old dock labourer.

Ken