Author Topic: Three wishes time travel  (Read 4964 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Three wishes time travel
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 August 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
An interesting exercise is to note down your 3 wishes now, and then check in 12 months time, and see if they're still the same.

Mine will be, Nick. They have been the same for the last five years and I see no way of getting any answers in the future. ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 August 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Don't dispair gengen just keep chip chip chipping away with that toffee hammer at the brick wall and you'll eventually get a break through!!!!!
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline Olly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 August 09 20:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think I've just added another tiny piece of the jigsaw that is my grandad's life from 1901.

I've been going through my notes and I found a scribbled entry that said his sister Harriet married someone called hughes. Checked it out on LancsBmd and Yes.
This would perhaps make her one of the 2 ladies who notified his death. (on another thread) Don't know why I didn't spot it before.

I never really looked for his brothers and sisters marriages before.

Thanks for making me look through my notes.

See genjen, you have to keep searching!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Olly
Bulmer Draper - Lincoln, Glasgow, Aylesbury
Bulmer - York
Draper,Keogh- Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Liverpool, Ireland
Lowe, Massey - Liverpool
Lowe - Australia
Jones, Owens - Anglesey, Liverpool
Collinson - Middlesex,Birmingham,Liverpool

Offline Gemerald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 August 09 20:39 BST (UK) »
1) I would ask my 3x Great Grandfather, George Thomas Myatt, who exactly he was. I can find no trace of him at all before his wedding day.

2) I would ask my 3x Great Grandfather, Adam Grosert, what happened to him after he divorced his wife. He disappears after that date.

3) I would ask the son of the above, Thomas Grosert, what happened to his first wife, Christina Heggie. He took her and his son to America and by the time of the next US census he was living with someone else.

I'm sure i could think of a 101 more questions to ask, but those are the puzzles that frustrate me the most!
Lincolnshire: Myatt, Fisher
Scotland: Grosert, Collins, Muirhead
Italy: Bafico

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 August 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
I'd ask

1.  My g.grandfather what his date of birth was, and who his parents were.  Particularly his mother, was she really Spanish or Portuguese and who were her parents.

2.  I'd ask my 2 x g.grandfather what his date of birth was and where he was born and if he really was the son of the people he knew as his parents.

3.  I'd ask my grandfather why he let people think he was an only child and whether there are the photos of his siblings.

For my OH,

1.  I'd ask his 3 x g.grandmother when and where she was born and who her parents were and if she died in 1842 in Glossop.
2.  I'd ask his 3 x g.grandfather when and where he was born and who his parents were and as he died in 1836 I'd ask him the cause of his death.

Lizzie

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 August 09 04:43 BST (UK) »
I'd ask

1. My g.grandfather what his date of birth was, and who his parents were. Particularly his mother, was she really Spanish or Portuguese and who were her parents.
Lizzie

I see at least 4 questions there Lizzie, and that's only in question 1.  ;D ;D - No cheating  ;D ;D

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 August 09 09:00 BST (UK) »
But we are allowed sub-sections so just put a little i, ii, iii etc and you'll be fine. ;D

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 August 09 09:16 BST (UK) »
Like genjen, my wishes have been the same for years and look like remaining well into the future!  Unbreakable brick walls, unfortunately.  My only hope (apart from time travel!) is that a currently unknown rellie comes out of the woodwork and tells me about these people!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 August 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
I could probably solve one of mine if I could afford to send for umpteen birth certificates for John Smith in Co. Durham 1856 - 1861. I could probably work out which was mine then. But given the family rumour that he was adopted or brought up by a different branch of the family, I could just as easily be searching forever.