Author Topic: Ancestor was Lieut. in King's Co. Militia, 1809. what next?  (Read 7518 times)

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ancestor was Lieut. in King's Co. Militia, 1809. what next?
« on: Saturday 15 August 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Surprisingly I found an ancestor who was a Lieut (Adjutant) in the King's County Militia.  He's listed in a book as "Officers in the Kings Co Militia in 1809"

Lieutenant Richard McLain

I also found him in the 1802 Census of Protestants of the Diocese of Meath living in Tullamore, Kilbride

M'Clain, Richard, Mary, George (age 3)

Can anyone tell me how to go about finding a service record? pay list? muster rolls? for this regiment or anything else that would be included?
I'm guessing I'd have to go through the UK's national archives for anything.

Thank you!
MacLean; Kildare, Offaly, Dublin, Meath, Westmeath

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor was Lieut. in King's Co. Militia, 1809. what next?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
This is probably not much help to you, but in my search in the registers of Clonmacnois CofI parish I spotted three McLain baptisms:

1862; Baptized: Sep 3; Born: July 6; Richard Sturges; Parents: George and Anna McLain
1865; Baptized: Apr 23; Born: Mar 12; Henry Thomson; Parents: George and Anna McLain
1866; Baptized: Oct 9th; Born: Aug 8th; George Ranelagh; Parents: George and Anna McLain

The father's profession is listed as Major, but it doesn't say what regiment
As I was interested in someone with a similar name living in the area I searched for them on Ancestry & found the McLains in Berkshire in the 1871 England Census.

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply, these are actually Richard's grandsons.  George is George Eagar McLain, and I believe he was in the regular British Army (he was born in 1808).

I had actually come across these McLains in an ancestry.com family tree a year or so ago and I discounted them as relatives but I just got a Y-DNA perfect match with a descendant of George Eagar's younger brother.  Richard McLain is either the uncle or much older brother of my Henry McLain (1794-1864)

Supposedly this McLain family came from Edinburgh to the Tullamore area around 1786 but the records in the area are so scarce.  My branch was in Clara since about 1820 or so and the parish records are gone so I've relied on land records, etc.

The amount of McLains in the area was very small compared to where it was numerous in the north, so if you're looking for McLains in King's Co, they may be related to a degree.

I put up a few pages of my research so far...
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze12sms9
MacLean; Kildare, Offaly, Dublin, Meath, Westmeath

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
OK, good to know you know about them.

As for my possible link to the family...an ancestor from Offaly married a widow called Lucinda (Lucy) Searson (1811-1903).  Lucinda's daughters were christened in Clonmacnois in 1841 & 1843.  Her first husband died there in 1844.  According to a tree on Ancestry Lucinda's maiden name was McLane.  I found that one of her grand-daughters had the given names Lucy McLean - the tradition in the family seems to be to name children with the first name & surname of a relative.  So, I am assuming (and I know it's not definite) that Lucinda's maiden name was McLean.

There is no record of her marriage to my ancestor.  Maybe they married in the short time between her first husband's death & when Civil Registration began?  The Clonmacnois marriage records are not available at the NAI.  The 1901 census lists Lucinda as being from Co. Derry so I doubt she is related to your McLains.  I am curious as to why she came to Offaly from Derry though.

By the way, your website is great.  When I get a bit more organised I would love to get the family info onto a site like that.  It makes it so much more accessible to the entire family.