Author Topic: Family of Edward Meaney, Tipperary  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Aldeas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of Edward Meaney, Tipperary
« on: Sunday 16 August 09 17:29 BST (UK) »
Trying to find Edward Meaney's place and actual date of birth. He died in Birkenhead 1881 at the age of 34 which would make his approximate date of birth as 1847. His father is also Edward Meany and all I know is that the family were Roman Catholics and  came from Tipperary  but  unfortunately I have no record of which area. I sought the help of Enneclan who told me that there was an Edward Meany mentioned in Griffiths Valuations in the town of Cashel in the parish of St John Baptist and an Edward Meany in the townland of Killurney in the civil parish of Temple-Etney...could either of these people be Edward's father?  There are several Edmund/Edmond Meaneys but they could not confirm that these were relevant to my family so I am up against a brick wall and don't know where to look next.  Can you help please ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Edward Meaney, Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Another post looking for Edward here-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,399628.msg2694247.html#msg2694247
Please do not keep starting new topics for the same person as it causes needless duplication and confusion.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Edward Meaney, Tipperary
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
I presume you have already tried the Irish Family History Foundation (pay) website at www.irish-roots.ie - they hold many Tipperary Record transcripts. If you dont know an exact location it might be difficult to be sure you have the correct baptism record, also be aware that it's possible that not all records survived from the parish where Edward was born.

If you believe that Edward was born in Cashel then it might be worth looking at the microfilms of the Cashel records in the National Library. The RC parishes which cover the town are :  St. John Baptist & St. Patricksrock    It believe that microfilm P.2501 has this data, and includes baptism & marriage data from about 1793.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests