Author Topic: proper spelling of Annahinchago or Annahunshigo, County Down.  (Read 9372 times)

Offline mourne fisher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: proper spelling of Annahinchago or Annahunshigo, County Down.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Our two local Presbyterian Churches are Ballyroney and Drumlee.  I will have a look in the Ballyroney churchyard this weekend and in Rathfriland when I get a chance.  Rathfriland is only a few miles up the road.

Trevor

Offline mourne fisher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
Apologies for being forgetfull!  We have only lived here for 5 years.  My wife (Smith / Hollinger) is originallyl from Ballymena, I am from Co Wicklow (Fisher / Nash  / Paine / Thompson)
Trevor

Offline RVGilmore

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Not sure this will help but I have just reviewed a set of inquest records of a death that occurred near Annahinchago circa 1922.  A motorcyclist was shot dead at a B Special roadblock.  One of the constables was named William Young.  See below.  I can give you the PRONI reference number for this entire document if you wish.  Ron

Deposition of William Young

I am William Young Sworn B Special, Commandant of the B Special Constabulary at Annahinchago.  John Bell, John Lynn and Gerard Van El and l were on patrol duty on the morning of the 6th instance.  John Bell was in charge. Gerard Van El came to my house about 10 p.m. and I immediately proceeded to Annahinchago Crossroads where we found the body of deceased lying on the side of the road.  I assisted to take the body of deceased to Mr. Casey's house.  We put him into the barn.   I went out and got my push bicycle and went to Rathfriland and reported the matter to my superior officer Robert Stevenson at his house in Rathfriland and then went for Dr Speedy.
Signed: William John Young