Author Topic: proper spelling of Annahinchago or Annahunshigo, County Down.  (Read 9373 times)

Offline sam cantley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: proper spelling of Annahinchago or Annahunshigo, County Down.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 August 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
  Annahunshigo is the eastern part of the townland of Annahinshigo and was shown as a different place on old maps. The older generation always refered to these places as two seperate areas. The area is now called Annahinshigo but there is still a bog there known as Hunshigo bog.
Sam.
Cantley,   Kentley,  Green, Greene,  Boyd,  Hartley, Froud.

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 August 09 08:34 BST (UK) »
My wife is the 2nd great granddaughter of William Martin Young.

Some dates in my records are approximate:

William Martin Young  b.c. 1806   d. 27 May 1862
      married Jane McIlroy  b.c. 1808  d.c. 1889 [ daughter of Robert McIlroy ]

children: Robert McIlroy Young  b.c. 1839  d. 24 Oct 1897
                     married Eliza Jane Truesdale  b.c. 1847  d. 6 Nov 1930

Ann Young   b.c. 1841  d.c. 1929

To date, I have no records for a Rachel Young or a Robert Bell.
Co.Fermanagh:Donegan, Co.Antrim:Donaldson,Donegan
Co.Down:Bingham,Cromie,Ferguson,Henning,Thompson,Truesdale,Young
Co.Galway/Co.Sligo:McNiffe, Cornwall: Bray, Bucks:Steele, Notts:Thompson
Devon: Harris, Canada:McNiffe, USA:Frink,Henning

Offline Mabes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 August 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Les, have you looked at the 1911 census Dublin, there are Youngs and Bells listed from the areas you are asking about.  With some of those births from 1885 and deaths not until 1930 should be there, there are Youngs from Annahunshigo (Tirkelly) Co.Down listed. It would be worth a search. Mabes.

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Mabes,

Thanks for reminding me about the 1911 Census. I have found quite a lot of names so now will have to figure out how they all connect to my tree.    Leslie 
Co.Fermanagh:Donegan, Co.Antrim:Donaldson,Donegan
Co.Down:Bingham,Cromie,Ferguson,Henning,Thompson,Truesdale,Young
Co.Galway/Co.Sligo:McNiffe, Cornwall: Bray, Bucks:Steele, Notts:Thompson
Devon: Harris, Canada:McNiffe, USA:Frink,Henning

Offline Mabes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 09 18:44 BST (UK) »
Glad you checked that census, I think there is an Eliza Jane aged about 64 which sounds about right for the Eliza Jane b 1847., you mentioned on a past post, and also knowing that the area Tirkelly also included Annahinchago.  I hope you find something that relates to your family. Good luck Mabes.

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 August 09 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

William Martin Young and Jane McIlroy were my great-great-great-grandparents.  My great-great-grandparents were Robert McIlroy Young and his wife Eliza Truesdale.  Their daughter Anna Eliza Young and her husband Joe Magill were my great-grandparents.

Not sure if you've got further back, but William Martin Young was the son of Robert Young and Elizabeth Martin.  Robert's father was William Young, his father was a Robert Young, and Robert's father was another Robert Young.

If you PM me to (*) I can give you chapter and verse on the Youngs.

PS Don't worry about the spelling of the townland as I've seen loads of variations.  Just think phonetically - if it sounds the same, it probably is the same.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams

Offline forloveofmother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Fiona,

Thank you for the invite to "be given chapter and verse on the YOUNGS of Annahinchago."   My head is spinning at this point as I am trying to understand where everyone fits into the line of so many named William and Robert (both on the Young's and the Bell's family tree).  I am sending this quick post to let you know I am very interested in our shared correspondence.   The evening is late, so I will make another post tomorrow hopefully. 

Just in brief, I am also looking for Robert BELL (born about 1822) of Seafin, Down, Ireland, who married Martha Bell (nee Bell) born about 1826 also of Seafin, Down, Ireland.  They are my mother's great grandparents.   As mother was off on the dates for the great grandparents of William Young and Jane McIlroy (thinking they were born in the 1820's), she might also be off by 10-15 years on these two. 

Their son Robert Bell born 1848 in Seafin, Down, Ireland, died 1919 in Rathfriland was married to Rachel Young born 1847 of Annahinchago (sister to Robert Young born 1839, whose father was William Young).  Their son Robert Bell born 1885 of Rathfriland married Anna Achs (Ochs German spelling) 1911 Oakland, California, USA, and blessed me with my mother Roberta Rachel Bell in 1919 and her older sister. 

I will post again soon.
YOUNG, McILROY from Annahinchago
BELL from Rathfriland, Seafin

Offline mourne fisher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There are various spellings of Annahinchago /Annahunshigo / Hunshigo etc........we live in the townland of Annahunshigo, just outside Rathfriland, the Lake in the townland is marked as Hunshigo Lake on the map....lots of interpretations of what was probably quite an old name.  I am new to this site (this is my first post!) so looking forward to learning more about my own family (Fishers)

Trevor

Offline forloveofmother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Trevor,

Have you or your family lived long in the townland of Annahunshigo (Annahinchago) and what would be the names of the Presbyterian churches there.  I am searching for the Youngs from Annahinchago and the Bells from Rathfriland, both are my mother's great great grandparents.  The years would be from 1824 all the way down to 1800s as my mother was not sure of the dates (probaby more around 1806 for both lines).  I wish you great success on your Fishers line.  You will find this a wonderful site with so many helpful and friendly people.
 :)
Cathy
YOUNG, McILROY from Annahinchago
BELL from Rathfriland, Seafin