Author Topic: Royal Artillery 1880-1909 - can anyone please help?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline klmr14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Artillery 1880-1909 - can anyone please help?
« on: Monday 17 August 09 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I'm trying to find any information on my family. Here's what I know

My ggg grandfather was James Donnelly - in Royal Artillery (possibly RHA).
Born Co Kildare, Ireland
? married a Mary Rourke
1878 - stationed in Dublin where daughter Mary born
1881 - on Census at Woolwich, London
1885 - daughter Dora Ann born in St Thomas, Exeter, Devon

Then we have nothing for them EXCEPT

Dora Ann married Arthur James Robinson in Feb 1909 in Jubbulpore, India - father listed as Army Pensioner and possibly a witness at the wedding.

Any help on James Donnelly or family greatly received. Not sure how to find anything out without knowing James' regiment etc.

Thanks

Kathryn

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Artillery 1880-1909 - can anyone please help?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
Any help on James Donnelly or family greatly received. Not sure how to find anything out without knowing James' regiment etc.

Hi Kathryn

You know his regiment was the Royal Artillery. But as he was a pensioner in 1909 you do not need to know about his regiment as surviving records are filed in alphabetical order for men discharged 1883 to 1913.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

If you cannot get to Kew Findmypast are putting surviving records online (by 2011). If his papers have not survived you should find him in the Muster Books (WO16). As he was in the RA you will need to find his Battery/Brigade, as there will be one muster book per RA unit. You will have to visit Kew to research the musters. The musters of this period should include details such as wife’s forename and the ages of any children, assuming he was on the married roll. So you should know when you have found the right man.

The address where Dora Ann was born would help in identifying his unit.

Ken