Author Topic: John Lewis (Strata Florida)  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lewis (Strata Florida)
« on: Monday 17 August 09 10:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please, trying to locate my great grandfathers correct birth and birthplace have found him on the 1901 census with his wife Elizabeth (nee Angel) and family. He states his age as 67 and his birthplace as Cardigan, Strata Florida but further searches are proving fruitless.
Hope someone can help.
Retpara.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: John Lewis (Strata Florida)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Retpara,

The 1881 census says Cardigan Llangweddal (?) - not much help I guess because the place doesn't seem to exist  :P

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881wales&indiv=try&h=12972651
RG11/5545 63 7

There's a father in law called Hugh A Lewis, age 70, born Merionethshire Pennal in the household - maybe actually his father given you say Elizabeth was nee Angel?  :)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Lewis (Strata Florida)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati,
Many thanks for your help, as you say there is a Hugh A Lewis in the household aged 70, I was wondering if possibly, John Lewis could not read or write and Elizabeth filled the census in to state father in law on form, making Hugh John's father. What is confusing though is her father is also called Hugh but obviously surname was Angel, so perhaps I could do some searches for Hugh A Lewis and hopefully link the two and work out where they came from.
Thank you again,
Retpara.

N.B. (Just checked 1861 Census Hugh A Lewis was Elizabeth's father as he was born in Pennal as Hugh Angel).