Author Topic: Cross Family from March Cambridgeshire.  (Read 2579 times)

Offline eileen1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cross Family from March Cambridgeshire.
« on: Monday 17 August 09 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help, I am trying to find the family of Charles Cross born in March, Cambridgeshire about 1836 , I have him, his wife and family in the 1861 and 1881 census but need to find him before he married in the 1841 and 1851 census to find his parents.

The only clue to Charles's father is gained from his marriage certificate to Susan Andrew from Murrow in 1858 where his father's name is shown as Charles

I would also like to find Charles and Susan in the 1871 census which I have so far been unable to do.

Thank You
Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire/Norfolk; Foster, Slater, Desborough, Hubbard, Cross, Fincham, TurnerReynolds/Knighton / Sussex; Bignell, Brook, Parker, Thomsett(Thompsett), Brown, Pollington, Lwery/Wiltshire Daniels, Vizor, Matthews

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Family from March Cambridgeshire.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
Is any occupation shown for father Charles on the marriage cert

The only one I can find at the moment with a father Charles was only b 1841 and father was a tailor
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 06:04 BST (UK) »
Cambs FHS has an excellent website at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html with a baptism index 1801-37 and various census indexes. But there's no Charles Cross in March in 1841/51 censuses or in the baptism index

In 1861 Charles, Susan, and Mary Ann 9mths were living at Whittle End March. In 1881 they had children William 18, Elizabeth 16, Susanna 6 and Emma 3

In 1871 living in Whittle End was
Charles Waters 32
Susan Waters 31
Mary Ann Waters 10
William Waters 8
Elizabeth Waters 6
John Waters 2

Looks suspiciously like the same family, and I cant find the Waters family in 1861 or 1881. Was it an enumeration error or was Charles also known as Waters?

In 1851 living at Whittle End March was a Charles Waters 13 born Wretton Norfolk with a father Charles, both labourers

May be difficult proving that Cross=Waters

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline eileen1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

The marriage certificate says the following

Charles Cross

condition: bachelor
profession: Labourer
Residence: March
Father: Charles Cross
Profession: Labourer

Susan Andrew is shown as a minor living in March, her father William Andrew also a labourer

Thanks for looking in to this for me.

Eileen
Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire/Norfolk; Foster, Slater, Desborough, Hubbard, Cross, Fincham, TurnerReynolds/Knighton / Sussex; Bignell, Brook, Parker, Thomsett(Thompsett), Brown, Pollington, Lwery/Wiltshire Daniels, Vizor, Matthews

Offline eileen1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Thanks for looking into this for me.

I can only go by the census where it says he was born in March, but I notice that people often seemed to say that they were born in the village they were living in at the time even if they were born elsewhere.

This is a branch of the family that I know nothing about, so I don't know if the name Waters is significant or not.
That the Cross family and the Waters family both lived at Whittle End, seems to suggest they are one and the same, and the names match.

Mary Ann Cross is on my direct line, but maybe I should try and follow the other  Waters/Cross children see what happened to them it might give some answers

Thanks again

Eileen

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Charles Waters had a younger sister, also Mary Ann, whose birthplace was March. As Charles must have been between 1 and 3 when the family moved  to March it's possible he thought he was born there.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline eileen1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
I think the 1871 Waters are  the Cross family, all the dates and names match, so it looks like they went under both names at different times.

I don't think it is an enumeration error as they swap between the names on several different censuses 1851 & 1871 Waters/ 1861, 1881, 1901 Cross

I think the next step will be to try and find more info abouth the 1851 Charles Waters born Wretton , Norfolk

Eileen