Author Topic: Annie Williams  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Michelle8671

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Williams
« on: Wednesday 19 August 09 10:01 BST (UK) »
Annie Williams was my great grandmother. I have very little information on her as she gave my grandfather up for adoption. This is the information I have:

Annie Williams entered Bradford Workhouse on 23rd January 1918 giving her address as 176 Lumb Lane, Year of Birth as 1889 next of kin Margaret Williams Step- sister. Discharged 2nd February 1918 giving forwarding address as c/o Mrs Baxter, Oakley House, Greengates
My Grandfather George Albert Williams was born at 11 Belle Vue, Manningham which was an  unmarried mothers refuge sponsored by the church of England and called “ St Monicas”
St Monica’s “encouraged” the unmarried mothers to Baptise the babies at St Mary Magdalene Church, Manningham. Grandpa (George Albert Williams) who was born at St Monicas on the 6th May 1918 was baptised there on the 30th May 1918 and taken to the baptism by his mother Annie Williams.

The Board of Guardians of Bradford adopted Grandpa on the 2nd March 1921 at the age of 2 years and 10 months.

It seems Annie tried to keep her son but couldn't. I would like to know how I go about finding more information about Annie. She was 29 when she gave birth to my grandad which was quite old to be unmarried. Also her next of kin was her step sister but they had the same surname. I would like to make the trip to Bradford one day (I live in cornwall, my grandfather married my grandmother here after the 2nd world war) but I wouldn't know where to start looking for info. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Michelle

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank you.   New members need at least two posts to use the pm system.

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Williams
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Michelle, have you tried contacting the Library at the Bradford to find out where the relevant records are kept?

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/information_and_communication/library_and_information_services/libraries_local_studies.htm

Click on 'get in touch with Local Studies' for relevant phone numbers

Dee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Williams
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census may hold clues here.   It is pay per view but you can find out a lot from the index. 
1911 census tips http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355239.0.html

Andrea