Author Topic: More Sutherlands  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
More Sutherlands
« on: Wednesday 19 August 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about either of the following. (I have no reason to think there is any connection between them, but I'd be delighted if there is a link.)

1. George Sutherland, married to Christian Stewart, children George, Donald, Alexander, Ronald, John and Catharine. In the 1841 census Christian was described as 'Independent' and living in Campbell Street, Thurso with the four eldest children. In 1851 she was a widow, aged 45, midwife, living at 9 ?Durness Street, Thurso, with all six children, the youngest aged 6. In particular I'd like to know who George Sr's parents were.

2. Donald Sutherland, wife Ann, whose son David, born about 1769/70 in Latheron, married Janet Gunn, had 9 children, and died on 2 August 1858 at Badereisky, Forss, Latheron. I have the inscription from David and Janet's grave in Latheron Old Kirkyard, but I'd like to know what Ann's surname was and get a date and place for David's birth/baptism.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
  • First car through after the rains (South Africa)
    • View Profile
Re: More Sutherlands
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

I am sorry to jump into your post with a different topic but I am new on here and can't seem to work out how to send a pm so apologies. I see that you are researching Aitkenhead which I am as well. Could you please send me a message or start a new link (sorry for being so helpless at this!) Many thanks, Chris
BAKER            Staffordshire, India, Bengal, (1880's)   
BROWNING    Kent      
LAMING            England, Dover      
SHEPPARD         England, Fenton, Stoke on Trent, Coventry, Warwickshire
BOURKE             Ireland (early 1800's) Merthyr, London, India/Burma

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
  • First car through after the rains (South Africa)
    • View Profile
Re: More Sutherlands
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 09 16:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the post which was made in error. Now worked out how to send a PM. Apologies, Chris
BAKER            Staffordshire, India, Bengal, (1880's)   
BROWNING    Kent      
LAMING            England, Dover      
SHEPPARD         England, Fenton, Stoke on Trent, Coventry, Warwickshire
BOURKE             Ireland (early 1800's) Merthyr, London, India/Burma