Author Topic: SCOTT's of Hawick  (Read 24523 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTTs of Hawick
« Reply #36 on: Monday 17 February 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
:)  I wonder if Deloraine, Barossa, in South Australia was actually a locality rather than just the name of Thomas SCOTT's farm  :)
You would know that better than I would, but it does seem to be rather a big coincidence that a Thomas Scott who was born at Deloraine in the parish of Yarrow fetched up at Deloraine in SA. Was Deloraine in SA founded or named by someone else from Yarrow?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT's of Hawick
« Reply #37 on: Monday 17 February 20 10:22 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

To me, Deloraine was used in the 1830s  in various colonial circumstances to commerate a poem by Sir Walter Scott.  I have in-laws who are in Deloraine, Tasmania.  Its built environment dates from the penal era, Deloraine,  Van Diemans  Land.    :)

South Australia was a separate Colony, established by England in the 1830s as a free colony ie no convicts were to be transported to there.   It's land was developed for free settlers as a profit making project.  The surveyors used the English system or 'hundreds' etc. 

Other Australian colonies did not use that system.

I have no working knowledge of researching South Australia's land divisions,  but the way the various newspaper cuttings from 19th century are worded  suggest to me that it is not just one farm ...  I could be wrong ....  ::)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 17 February 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Interesting - yes, I had found the Deloraine in Tasmania, and one in Canada too.

Still quite a big coincidence for him to end up there if he had no links to the original Deloraine in Yarrow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 17 February 20 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Imagine it is  1839,  you are Mr and Mrs SCOTT, and their young family.  You have sailed half way around the world for months, lost a young one whose body was cast into the ocean,  ... you land in a frontier town, less than  three years in existence,  there are many people from across Britain ... you cannot understand their many different accents and they cannot understand yours.  You recognise only those people who came on the same voyage as you. 

You then hear that there are parcels of land for sale at Deloraine.  You know that name from back home.  You hire a cart and horse and to load your belongings and hand over the asking price and head off down the dirt track .... several days later you find the natural feature they told you to look out for...  Deloraine ... no farmhouse, no fences, no cleared land, no livestock, but you have a canvas tent that you found in the cart... 

1839 ...So this is beginnings of free settlement on  land in South Australia that had suddenly at stroke of a pen (George III )  become Crown land and then sold off to private individuals via a newly formed land Company with its HQ in England.  It was an experiment .. very different way for Britain to expand Empire.  First colony developed on the continent of Australia after the industrial revolution commenced in Britain. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 17 February 20 13:04 GMT (UK) »
You know that name from back home.
Yes, that's the whole point, surely?

It doesn't sound like anything I would want to do, though, much as I enjoyed your wee story - far too much like hard work :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 17 February 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

No,  my point was that  'Thomas SCOTT, Deloraine, Barossa'  the chap who migrated with his young family to South Australia,  does not actually inform us that his farm's name was Deloraine or that he chose to name that locality as Deloraine, or that he was related to Sir Walter SCOTT.   :)  just like the 'story' I have imagined, it is conjecture... urban myth ... 

On the other hand, Henry Braefoot SCOTT who as an adult came from South Australia to Cootamundra, NSW, may well  have shared oral history of his childhood memories as a wee lad on that sea voyage or early  days 'on the land' as a child... and may have romanced the story behind Deloraine, Barossa.  I know my ancestors in the back blocks on the Darling (RIver) in NSW in the 19th century certainly spun some grand stories about the trials and tribulations of being among the first generations of Europeans in those districts. 

:) :D

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/39177663  South Australian Register 27 March 1868
Marriages
SCOTT-THOMSON
On the 13th March at Caurnamount, Murray river, by the Rev J Roddick, Henry, fourth son of Thomas SCOTT, Esq., Deloraine, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Robert THOMSON, Esq, Caurnamont, Murray River.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197756334  14 June 1881 Evening Journal
Death
The friends of the late Thomas SCOTT of Deloraine are informed that his funeral will leave his late residence on Thursday June 16, for the new Cemetery, Kersbrook. 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197756657  Evening Journal 23 June 1881
SCOTT - On the 14th June, at his residence, Deloraine, Thomas SCOTT, aged 76 years.  A colonist of 42 years.

JM

JM

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 17 February 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Certainly, but if Henry Braefoot was the son of Thomas, the distinction in terms of why they lived at Deloraine becomes irrelevant?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 17 February 20 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Certainly, but if Henry Braefoot was the son of Thomas, the distinction in terms of why they lived at Deloraine becomes irrelevant?

But, when did Henry SCOTT become Henry Braefoot SCOTT ...  :) 

:) Does his NSW death certificate include 'Braefoot' as one of his given names?  The online index would point to his d.c. as being for Henry SCOTT, no other names.   (NSW BDM #1218/1911, Henry SCOTT, registered Cootamundra District, parents given names as Thomas and Elizabeth).
 :) Does his S.A. marriage certificate include 'Braefoot' as one of his given names?
 :) Does his probate packet or his will say his middle name was 'Braefoot'
 :) Does he appear on any electoral roll?  what if any middle name given for him there?

:) Braefoot, Gum Creek - as a locality in South Australia in the 1870s ...  Burra Record, 6 Sept 1878 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/35949291

I have Scottish ancestors arriving as early as mid 1790s and who settled in NSW; some of them settled in Far Western NSW after initially settling in and around the Hawkesbury, then after a road was built across the Blue Mountains they went to Bathurst NSW.   Several generations of these NSW colonialists were farmers and graziers, and gave various 'Scottish' themed names to their farms ....  Glamis, Ivanhoe, Waverley.    :)  :)  :)    Some babies were given those names as their middle names  :)  I have living cousins on both my maternal and paternal lines who are Scott as their given name.  Does any of that prove that I am related to Sir Walter SCOTT  ::)  ::)  ;D  of course not, but our new RChatter, Bec refers to Henry as Henry Braefoot SCOTT ...  :D   and asks for help in finding the family connection back to Sir Walter Scott.  :)  :)

I have not yet found Henry Braefoot SCOTT with that middle name on any of the usual online indexes for family history resources ... but I have looked  :D   I can see him with that middle name on several submitted trees. 

His obit in one of the South Australian newspapers notes his pastoral station (as in his land holdings ... his pastoral grazing farm etc) was 'Braefoot',  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37483807 Burra Record 18 Jan 1911.

FindMyPast has his will .... 'This is the Last Will and Testament of me Henry Scott of Milton Cootamundra retired grazier.  I appoint my sons Murray Thomas Scott, Percival Robert Scott and Henry Oliver Scott to be the Executors and Trustees ...... ' it names his daughters ... all with their full set of given names, etc and his wife 'Elizabeth' (so only one given name for her).    Probate £44,000

JM  edited to sort out some poor grammar and correct poor spelling.  9:20 a.m. NSW AEDST

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 17 February 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
But, when did Henry SCOTT become Henry Braefoot SCOTT ...  :)
Or, conversely, when did Henry Braefoot drop his middle name? (And why?)