Author Topic: Mary Jessie Young  (Read 3294 times)

Offline youngatheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Jessie Young
« on: Thursday 20 August 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace what happened to a great aunt called Mary Jessie Young born in Balero, Edinburgh in 1913. We only found out she existed when we started our family research. She would be the sister of our grandfather Donald Alexander Waugh Young. Her parents were John Percy Adair Young and Jessie Mackay Georgeson. We have searched deaths and marriages on both Scotlands people and Ancestry but there are no records. Could anyone advise us of what to do next please? Thanks

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth Henderson, my grandmother, on the right
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jessie Young
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 09 02:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RC, found a Mary Jessie Young on SP GROS data 682/00 0032. If you search with Midlothian then district Currie as think the town you mean  is Balerno and that is in Currie district . There is no image but you can order a cert. Thinlizy
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock

Offline youngatheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 09 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking. It's very kind. We have her birth certificate and we know she was around in 1934 when her fathe died as we have recently found her referred to in his obituary but we can't find any reference to her after that. We've searched in marriages and deaths in both England and Scotland. Don't know what to do next. It's our dad's 70th next month and we would love to be able to tell him more about her, even if he didn't know she existed! Do you have any suggestions please?

Regards

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth Henderson, my grandmother, on the right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 09 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again, the only other suggestion is if some kind soul is going into Register House in Edinburgh they may be willing to look up the marriages post 1933 as these do not appear on-line. It is possible that her death was registered as just Mary - there are 7 Mary * Young with 2 as just Mary. Is it possible she died during WW2? Sorry cannot be of much help, good luck, Thinlizy
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock

Offline youngatheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 09 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your time. We have just discovered today that she went to Capetown with her mother in 1938. SO the search now continues in South Africa!

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
I had a word with a local lady ( 87 going on 21!) who remembers the Youngs  pre-war. She just remembers the family but nothing else.
There is a ' Jeanie A Young - War Nurse ' on the Currie War Memorial who died in 1922 and also a Peter Young - son of William Young of Currievale died 1918 and a William Young  died 1917 - son of John and Margaret Young of Glenbrook, Balerno. Relations perhaps?

Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline youngatheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. We'll investigate this further. It's amazing how helpful people have been.

Regards

Offline Cathymeroc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if a previous post got through - I really hope you are still looking at this site.  Mary Jessie Young was my mother so your Dad, Donald is my uncle.  I was thinking about him and tried to find out if he was alive - then typed in my mother's name and came across your post from 2009.  My mother came to South Africa with her mother Jessie.  She married Christoffel Morton.  She had two children, Donald James Adair Morton and myself, Cathryn Mary Elizabeth Rocher (born Morton).  I would love to make contact with you

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathymeroc,

Unfortunately youngatheart has not been online on Rootschat since Friday 05 August 11 20:15 BST (UK). I will send them a pm, in the hope that they come online but it will take some luck.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.