Author Topic: Stanley, Crook M Inscriptions  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Adamand

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stanley, Crook M Inscriptions
« on: Thursday 20 August 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello. I have now updated the gravestone inscriptions for St Thomas at Stanley, Crook
Most of the 140 stones are from the early 1900 to the 1960. (overspill from the main graveyard)
I have not added surnames to the original list (see post number one St Thomas, Stanley M inscriptions) but if you think you need a look up for Stanley Crook, I will check them for you.

Adam

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley, Crook M Inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam

I have been looking for the burial place of a Matthew Lee.
He lived in Sunnyside and sadly took his own life on 6th March 1892, he was 54 years old. He drowned in the  Thornley Pit Coke Ovens Reservoir, Wolsingham according to both newspaper reports and his death certificate. Death cert was signed by the Coroner from Darlington Ward after an inquest held on 9th March.

I am unsure if the rules would have allowed a burial in a churchyard, but if you could check your records to see if you have any sign of him, I would be grateful
Thanks
Boo

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam.

I am looking for a Joseph Lee (possibly Leigh) who died some time between the mid-1920s and mid-1930s.

Many thanks for your help

Offline Adamand

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:53 BST (UK) »

Hello Boo. There is no gravestone for Matthew in my records.
As for him being buried in a church yard? I do not think it would be allowed because suicide was a criminal offence and that in itself would bar him from being buried in the church yard.
Anyway I think that he would have been buried in the Tow Law municipal cemetery.
Many gravestones at Tow Law have been removed, pushed over(face down), or damaged by dumping them on the side of the cemetery.

Adam

Offline Adamand

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:55 BST (UK) »

Hello Tomatilo. NO inscriptions for a Joseph Lee for those dates.

Adam

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Adam. My grandfather (born 1923) remembers going to the funeral but doesn't think he (my granddad) was very old but I guess it could be a few years later if there is anything just a little later.

Joseph lived in Crook and was in the Salvation Army so I guess it's possible he was buried elsewhere. You wouldn't happen to know whether there is a more likely cemetery?

Many thanks again for your help

Offline Adamand

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:18 BST (UK) »

Hello Tomatilo. The possible graveyards for someone from Crook at the date mentioned would be the municipal cemetery at Crook, or the St Thomas Church at Stanley, Crook.
If you give the address on his death certificate then you would be certain to know where the burial would be.
The Crook municipal cemetery is vast and I have not done all of that,so that is where he may be.

Adam

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Adam. At the moment I just have my granddad's rusty memory and far too many possible index matches so can't be sure of the certificate. I'm asking some more distant relatives to see if they can help so if they do I'll try the municipal cemetery. Many thanks again for your help.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Adam,
 I thought that he may not have been buried in the churchyard but its always worth a shot to ask I suppose.
I think enquiries are being made about the municipal cemetery, will check on that.
Thanks again for the help

Boo

Hello Boo. There is no gravestone for Matthew in my records.
As for him being buried in a church yard? I do not think it would be allowed because suicide was a criminal offence and that in itself would bar him from being buried in the church yard.
Anyway I think that he would have been buried in the Tow Law municipal cemetery.
Many gravestones at Tow Law have been removed, pushed over(face down), or damaged by dumping them on the side of the cemetery.

Adam