Author Topic: Census look up please 1891 /1901  (Read 3427 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Census look up please 1891 /1901
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 August 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Posteria

I have a feeling they are the Dryden family of 1901 - firstborn child called David etc

I'll post full 1901 details for reference

David Dryden 47  b Ireland
Mary 44  b Ireland
Catherine  18  b Ireland
Following children all b Middlesborough
David 16 
Mary  14 
Daniel   8 
Annie 6 
RG13 Piece 4575 Folio 37 Page 15
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 August 09 01:15 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling they are the Dryden family of 1901

I think so too !!

The death registration in 1922 is for a Daniel DryMan, aged 29. I suppose that there is a good chance this might be him but it would then raise the question as to who was the father of Moira Drynan born in the second quarter of 1926 (who died in the fourth quarter of the same year listed as Moira Dryden).

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 August 09 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

That's why I raised a doubt about the 1922 death.  There was also a birth in 1923

As you will know from my pm - there is a doubt about that 1922 death cert.

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 August 09 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole and Posteria
What can I say?  I am amazed at the amount of info you have uncovered particularly with the children, There is also a John, b 1916. Mary Elizabeth Stewart is my great aunt and the family arrived in Middlesbrough from Anderston Glasgow in the 1890s,
The address in  Albert Street is correct though should read Storey's Buildings, which was a small close/Cul de Sac /Yard behind the Criterion Hotel.
I haven't requested a marriage cert yet, though I have a death cert for Mary Elizabeth for death from T.B and her grave is in St Josephs Cemetry North Ormeby.
From family sources Mary Elizabeth died in 34 East St. Middlesbrough of TB her death Cert confirms this and states widow of Daniel Drynan, iron erector, husband Daniel allegedly died of TB aged 29 yrs. Young John was found with his mother and taken in to the Broomlands Childrens' Home subsequently raised by Sarah Stewart, (my grandmother) Mary Elizabeths' sister.

It seems that  a lot of the confusion is from the names Dryden, Drynan and Dryman,
I was researching Dryden for a long time, albeit intermittently.
Then found  that son John who was awarded BEM was in fact called Drynan, married in Bombay India during the ww2 and had two sons born in Bombay ,settling in the Wiltshire area on his return to the UK.
I have ordered the 1922 Death Cert  for Daniel already so if it is not "myman" (forgive the pun) I will start another line of enquiry.
 I am amazed at the info and eternally grateful for your efforts,

Kind Regards
James

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 August 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Carole/Posteria
Believe it or not I have just this morning received the death cert. for Daniel Drynan, I only ordered it yesterday, good service!!!
Daniel Dryden aged 29 years. Rigger at Steelworks, died . 6.11.1922 , Pthisis 5 yrs. Acute pneumonic pthisis 4 days  informant M.E.Drynan (Mary Elizabeth )  address;28 Hunter St. Middlesbrough.
So that suggests that the Daniel Dryden on the 1901 census aged 8 is this family Dryden/Drynan.
That brings into the frame who was the father of Moira who was born and died in 1926.
Another birth cert from M'bro RO I suspect.

What are your thoughts on the name change Dryden to Drynan?

James

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 August 09 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

That's excellent news - at least you haven't wasted £7

Dryden would be a more well known surname than Drynan.  A great many of the more unusual surnames were often subject to pronunciation errors - particularly if the persons themselves were illiterate and could not correct the entry

Mary was only just pregnant with the child born 1923 when Daniel died - how sad.

The marriage cert would confirm his fathers name and then we would know for sure he is the correct 1901 entry.  The 1926 birth cert could uncover a bit of scandal

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 August 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Carole, I will keep this thread open until I have further info from the Marriage Cert.

What a terrible thing TB must have been in those times without the drugs to combat it, to my knowledge three of my relatives in the 1920s/30s died young from it.

Thank you again, will post further info when I have it

and thank you Posteria also.

James

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,
Some  further info on the Drynan family, I have received a copy of the Marriage Cert of Daniel  Drynan  and Mary Elizabeth Stewart  m.15.11.1913 and indeed Daniels' father is David Drynan,(re your query 22/8) also the birth cert for Moira Drynan b.23.2 1926 shows no father named.
Moira was therefore born "out of wedlock"  Elizabeth at this time was living in Disraeli St. She had seven pregnancies between 1913 and 1926 and only one boy survived, all the others died under age three yrs. and she sadly died young in 1930.

What a sad unhappy life she must have led.

Thanks for your help

James

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't think any of us today could even begin to imagine the type of life some of our ancestors had. 

The infant mortality rate in those days was sky high and people died young through poverty and disease

And the kids of today think they are hard done by if they don't have their own mobile phone!!