Author Topic: James Dunlop c 1850 possible Ballywillin*COMPLETED WITH THANKS*  (Read 3531 times)

Offline roedamar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Dunlop c 1850 possible Ballywillin*COMPLETED WITH THANKS*
« on: Friday 21 August 09 21:49 BST (UK) »
hello friends, i am back with more questions and if anyone can help i would be verygrateful

looking for anything on James Dunlop c 1850/60
possibly m. Elizabeth McNeill at Ballywillan Pres Ch. 15 oct 1877 but that might not be right

do know that he was father to

Jane Dunlop m thomas McCombe at Ballywillan 31 aug 1910

Sarah

Martha

Elizabeth c 1897 m. John Creelman at Ballywillan 16 may 1917

James - went to canada

John

Alexander c 1886 - c april 1957 train driver. m Ellen ' Nellie' Lindsay (daughter of William Brown Connor c 1876 blacksmith buried at Dunboe and Ellen Boyd c 1876 m. 13/07/1896 Myroe Pres Ch)

alexander is my grandad

many thanks
roedamar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Dunlop c 1850 possible Ballywillin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again. Are you sure about the parents' names? James Dunlop and Elizabeth McNeill had at least 2 children according to IGI (www.familysearch.org)-
John born 13 May 1879 Co. Londonderry
Ellen born 23 Aug.1880 Agherton, Londonderry
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline roedamar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
hi again

i am attacking the other side tonight (again!!!) i have found this one even more difficult.

on Alexander m. Ellen marriage cert his father is listed as James Dunlop and he was a shoe maker.. thats all i am sure about. their is a James Dunlop on the Ulster covenant at Bridge street in Coleriane, and there is an annie and an aggie in shuttle hill - dont know if any of this is relevent

the information on his siblings initally came from alexander's daughter (my aunt) so i am sure it is accurate and i have checked what i can of it and confirmed it.

alexander was listed as living at 'Cranagh, Coleraine' at the time of his marriage but i cant even get that to an area -

dont know if this is relevent but Alexander and Ellen lived at Neilly's yard when they were married, that is now the car park at the back of waterside in coleraine. he was a train driver but he had a bad accident and he walked with a cane.

would it help if i give you alexander's children.

again, my thanks
roedamar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
There was a railway terminus at the Waterside (no station built) so that might account for a railway employee living in that area.
Had a look in 1897 Coleraine directory but no shoemakers named Dunlop listed. Only Dunlop entry is Dunlop Bros. Bridge St. which is probably connected to James Dunlop you found in 1912 Ulster Covenant.
1901 census will probably help- coming online later this year after all 1911 on National Archives site. Meanwhile Ballymena Library have 1901 on microfilm for Coleraine area.
Have you checked any church records in Coleraine Library yet?

Offline roedamar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
hi again

as soon as the little ones are back at school i think i will be camped out in Coleriane library, but i didn't actually know about the 1901 in Ballymena. that could be really helpful in the meantime until the internet access is up and running.

so thank you again. i now have another direction to get busy in

i think this is adictive.
i have little doubt i will be back to you again soon

once again, my thanks
roedamar

Offline Fransgenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Dunlop c 1850 possible Ballywillin*COMPLETED WITH THANKS*
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 October 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
The Cranagh is on what is now the University campus. If you look on google earth just north of the University halls of residences on a lane running off the Portstewart road you will see the remains of farm buildings- this was the crannagh.
My husband is descended from Archibald Dunlop and Harriet Scott. They had a wool and drapery shop on Bridge st in early 19th Century.
Have you seen Bill MacAfee’s website which contains much useful information on Coleraine families?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Dunlop c 1850 possible Ballywillin*COMPLETED WITH THANKS*
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 October 21 21:38 BST (UK) »
This topic is from 2009 and roedamar wasn't been on Rootschat since 2012.

Ballysally townland shows the location of The Crannagh-
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/ne-liberties-of-coleraine/coleraine/portstewart/ballysally/