Author Topic: Johnston/ Carrothers from Bellvue and Manley  (Read 2641 times)

Offline orangelil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Johnston/ Carrothers from Bellvue and Manley
« on: Friday 21 August 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
I've just started on my daughter's family tree.  Any help would be appreciated as she wants to do her tree by herself, but she's only ten, so I thought I'd do a bit of ground work so I can tell her where to look. 

Her grandfather is XXXX MANLEY from Enniskillen, one of 13 children born to William Manley and Dorothy Johnston. 

Any info on the Manley family would be appreciated.

Dorothy Johnston was born to Richard Johnston and Margaret Carrothers (married 17/05/1906), both from Bellvue, Enniskillen.  They also had a daughter Violet Johnston who married Freddy Lucy.

Margaret Carrothers' father was James Carrothers, a steward and Richard Johnston's father was a labourer.
Any info on the Johnston and Carrothers families from Bellvue would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Moderator's Comment: Details of living person removed. Names of living people aren't allowed to be posted on Rootschat so if anyone can fill in more recent family details it would be best done by PM (personal message) rather than online.
McGarvey (Belfast/ Cookstown), Robinson (Belfast), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Glasgow/ Belfast), Totton (Glenavy), Thompson (Belfast), Craig (Belfast), O'Rawe (Randalstown, Belfast), Philips (Belfast), Matthews (Belfast), Lavery (Belfast), McAree (Belfast), Edwards (Belfast), Drain (Ballymoney), Ferguson (Belfast)  http://mcgarveygenealogy.blogspot.com/

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston/ Carrothers from Bellvue and Manley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 09 08:02 BST (UK) »
Karen,
          The area known as Bellvue (Belview) used to be known as DRUMCOO according to www.thecore.com/seanruad
In the 1901 census I found the following. (I only have partial census details)
James Carrothers Married Episcopalian
Annie                    Married        "
John Henry           Age 16         "
William Robert      Age 14         "
Maggie Jane         Age 13         "
Lillie                     Age  6           "
James                   Age 2           "

I understand that Episcopalian is the Scottish term for Anglican. I will look for Johnstons later.

Regards

Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim