Author Topic: CARTER family from Paulton somerset.  (Read 56777 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: CARTER family from Paulton somerset.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 August 09 07:09 BST (UK) »
I have the children of George and Mary Ann
John Henry   1861
Thomas Francis 1864         
George       1866      
Edward       1870      
David Joseph   1872      
Rebecca Ann   1874      
Mary Martha   1874       
Matilda       1876      
Edith       1879

and James Carter 1858 registered BADGER was he George's son  doubtful but not impossible

Notice the twin Mary who appears on the censuses as Mary A was registered as Mary Martha

So George has a David, Ann, John, Henry,Matilda and a Martha names in Jacob and Martha's family
 Martha and Ann are the only 2 in common with Jacob and Sarah's family

So I think this is a strong case for Jacob and Martha HOOK
What do you think?
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline astley7

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 August 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for all your help on this! My grandfather was David Joseph Carter he married Maragret Ann Greenland of Deri. They had Seven Children, Enid, Pearl, Dulcie, Agnus, Cysel, edna and one other.
So I dont think that is much of help sorry. 
Greenland, Carter, Saunders, Price, Andrews, Lewis, Issac, Astley, Thomas, Yeats. Badger, Drew, Francis, Matthews

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

George Carter and Mary Ann Badger were my great grandparents.  Just this week collected their marriage certificate - not much help.

I believe, through elimination and discussion with other Carter researchers on the Yahoo/Somerset sites that Georges parents were Jacob Carter (1800ish) and Sarah Gulliford (1803).  I have up to present been unable to find Jacobs parents (but have some views on who they might be - no baptism for Jacob 1790 to 1809 - but one in 1809) but have traced Sarah back 2 generations so far.

Am about to send for the birth certficates for Mary Ann's son Jame John (to see if father named - hope its George) and for George and Mary Ann's first legitimate son John Henry, who was born in Paulston to see if it gives an accomodation address - hope its with grandparents.

My scenario for Georg and Mary Ann is:

1. Mary Ann in service in Somerset, gets pregany (hopefully by George) and is forced to return to Merthyr.

2. George follows her (eventually) and they marry. Why Bridgend? twitching curtains or a vicar who is willing to marry them?

3. They return to Paulton because of Georges work

4. They return to Bargoed/Deri when the work dries up.

Astley7 I have sent a pm

Tree's it looks like you have done a lot of great work.  I have only been following this particular line for a week or two, but I will put down my thoughts about who I believe Jacobs parents to be and hopefully you will be able to giveme your views.

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:22 BST (UK) »
Great to have your input Ray why do you think its James and Sarah I have convinced myself its James and Martha with so many names that match with George's children I think James and Sarah's George is the one who married Mary SNOOK I would love to hear your reasoning :)
Which Julia do you think married James was it Susannah's I think I found a death for Susannah in MT
Have you worked out who were Matilda's parents? The only birth I can see at a reasonable date has mother Holbrook but I cant see a Carter Holbeck marriage.
Gosh you are more than welcome the Carters are a nightmare to sort between the Biblical and Royal names repeating over and over
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Trees

On the 1911 census Mary Ann states that she had 14 children, with 9 surviving at that time.  In addition to the ones you have already mentioned I also have:

(another) David      1872
                    Gertrude 1879
                    Annie      1883

This leaves one missing (I am also not absolutely sure about David - this came from another researcher).

Rebecca was my great grandmother and I have her twin as Mary.  I think the confusion on the second name was because Rebecca was Rebecca Ann, and with all the kids the enumerator got confused!!

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Trees

Crossed each other on the last posts.  The reason I have not taken the Jacob/Martha line is that I have a Gedcom file from a recent contact from the Yahoo/Somerset site that has line coming from George Carter (1829) the son of Jacob(1789)/Martha.

He has George marrying a Mary Gulliford (god all these similar names!) in 1857 and having 6 children. 

However I am still hoping that the birth certificate of John Henry will have him at his grandparents house to confirm - do you think I am optimistic?

Have not looked at your other questions as yet.

I can post you the Gedcom if you require it.

Regards

Ray

Offline astley7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
I dont know about the other children but  know she had grand children living with her. I would have thought any deaths within the family would have been burried in St Andrews, Pentwyn, Fochriw opp White Horse  i Know there is a Ronald Carter burried there near the gate but I have not linked him into anything yet i have just collected information.
I will have a look into this.
Best wishes
Lisa
Greenland, Carter, Saunders, Price, Andrews, Lewis, Issac, Astley, Thomas, Yeats. Badger, Drew, Francis, Matthews

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 August 09 20:14 BST (UK) »
Lisa

Don't know if you are aware that for some time Mary Ann lived with her second husband, John Jenkins (20 years younger than her), next to her daughter Rebecca in Factory Road, Bargoed.  The house is still in the family, my cousin lives there.

Another cousin of mine remembers one of the grandchildren, Julia. 

I don't know who the grandchildren came from because I have not traced  that line as yet, but it should be fairly easy to do, with some certificates that is.

Ray

Offline astley7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 August 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
The grandchildren were Thomas J carter and Julia Carter  I believe them to be James badger carter children James married Julia b 1860 but she died aged 30 in 1890.
Best Wishes