Author Topic: CARTER family from Paulton somerset.  (Read 56781 times)

Offline cobb113

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CARTER family from Paulton somerset.
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
James and Mary are my 6x g g parents I have the compleat ( I thought) line of cobb,s   from the distritct I have a lot of pdf files from high litelton and other info if you are interested Ray ...... it seems that Tryphena and her hubby foweled Selina to wales im thinking it was because the mines were getting worked out and the pensford mine had not been dug ( 3 of my grand farthers worked in pensford pit ) as did some other of my relations there is another Selena that went to work in Bath and marred there
Gary
Cobb somerset Wells devon

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary.  My line are through the Carters and not the George Carter who married Selina.  The Carters of Paulton are pretty infamous and anyone who has line through the Carters of Paulton had to research all of them to find their particular line.  You are correct in saying that people (miners & others) left that area of Somerset because of the better prospects of work in the Welsh valleys.  I only live about 10 miles from where Selina & George lived when the moved to Wales. 

You might find these links interesting:

Cwm:  this is the area where Selina & George lived, Hall street is about 1 mile north of Cwm: http://www.cwmcommunitycare.org.uk/home/4583288474

There is a section on the Waunlwyd & Victoria Collieries (under "coal mining") where it is likely George & sons worked (George is shown as an Iron Miner on one census).

Welsh Coal Mines: an interesting web site where you can find out about the pits in the area & Wales generally: http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
.  The Carters of Paulton are pretty infamous and anyone who has line through the Carters of Paulton had to research all of them to find their particular line.
;D ;D ;D ;D how right you are Ray they are still giving a few headaches as are the BULLs right now

Why were they all called George ?! ****
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Trees

Quite a while since had any dealings with the Carters, but they keep coming up!
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline cobb113

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Thursday 23 July 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
.  The Carters of Paulton are pretty infamous and anyone who has line through the Carters of Paulton had to research all of them to find their particular line.
;D ;D ;D ;D how right you are Ray they are still giving a few headaches as are the BULLs right now

Why were they all called George ?! ****

Nerley as bad as the Cobb family in Pensford and Publow with there James lol
Cobb somerset Wells devon