Author Topic: 42nd Royal Tank Regiment  (Read 28041 times)

Offline Ann Walls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 42nd Royal Tank Regiment
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 15 January 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
My Father also served with the 42rtr and I have Photo of him at the Pyramid in Egypt. Would like to exchange info. I am very new to Roots chat and am unfamiliar with the systems. please contact Annin the forum..
[/quote]

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 16:39 BST (UK) »
My father was a tank driver for most of the War, and spent time in Egypt (Yes, photos of those pyramids and sphinxes again) but I'd always understood he was in something called the 13th/18th Hussars? I know he was styled as a trooper, rather than a private in the local newspaper report  when my parents married in 1944. Would that be incorporated in the 42nd Tank Regiment?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 17:01 BST (UK) »
13th/18th Hussars were a regular cavalry regiment whereas 42RTR was raised at the beginning of the war as part of the East Surrey Regiment from a territorial unit at Clapham Junction.  No connection I'm afraid.

CP

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I have those photos of him and others in the desert, etc., and also at some form of honour parade that, I think, he said the King of Jordan featured in, and, as I said, he drove a tank, so it'd just been a question that i felt was worth asking, cpercival - sorry to have wasted your time and expertise.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
It's never a waste of time and always worth asking.  You sometimes discover the unexpected.  Always willing to help.

C

Offline MindenBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 23 February 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Morning. I have just joined the site and my first search has been on the subject of the 23rd London Regiment and 42nd Royal Tank Regiment. I am currently conducting a long overdue project on the unique subject of the London Regiment 1859-1967. This dates loosely covering parent and successive units to the main subject. i have a 1936 war history on the 23rd London Regiment but can locate nothing on the 1938-67 period.
I would be extremely grateful if any relatives of the men who served with the 42nd and 48th Royal Tank Regiment would be prepared to contact me so i can explain more about my project. i look forward to finding out any information on these units.   

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 23 February 20 14:42 GMT (UK) »
My Father served with 42RTR and was captured in North Africa In June 1942.  I have a history of the regiment and some of the war diary.  Give me a few days and I'll get back with more.

CP

Offline tokay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 04 April 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
My father was I believe friends with your father through the Rtr

Offline Gladys Sheila

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 11 May 20 00:52 BST (UK) »
My Father was Arthur Locke he was in the 42nd at Clapham Junction, called up on 24/8 /39.Was captured at Tobruk. Taken to Campo PG 82. Then sent to Lamsdorf 344. I think he then ended up at Stalag 1VB Muhlberg. I have no more information after that. After the war he carried on for many years in the TA,even when we moved away to Crawley. I remember he was  Colour Sargent.XC