Author Topic: McCusker  (Read 1671 times)

Offline michaelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCusker
« on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on the McCusker family who lived in Eskra Co Tyrone

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCusker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've moved you post to the Tyrone board so that we can help you but first you really do need to give us an idea of exactly what you are looking for, where you've already searched, and any names and dates so we can suggest where to search next.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline michaelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply aghadowey
The names I am interested in are Joseph McCusker & his wife Margaret
I would like to find out about their parents,had they any brothers or sisters,what was margarets maiden name etc.
I am new to this and have not looked anywhere else for information.
I know Margaret died around 1967-69 and is buried in Eskra.
She was 48-50 when she died.
This tells me she was born around 1917- 1920
Joseph may have been older

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:39 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately it will be difficult to get such recent information online. 1911 census is latest available (due to be put online sometime shortly) and index to civil registrations only goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
 8) While the McCuskers (and a variant spelt McCosker) were resident to the locality sometimes referred to as Eskra (Eskragh), it does not necessarily mean that they lived in the townland of Eskra.  My great grandmother was a McCusker who married into the McCarroll family of Corkhill.  Catherine passed away in September 1916 and it appears that she was living at that time with her unmarried "children:" Hugh, b. 1883, and Jane, b. 1881. 

You note that Margaret was buried in Eskra - but the graveyard and chapel are actually in the townland of Lisnarable. 

Confusing?  Yes, it is - but, as Aghadowey points out that it unfortunately is difficult to obtain information of the more recent ancestors, but it is even more difficult sorting things out when the townlands are confused with unofficial localities such as Eskra.

My Catherine was from the townland of Agharonan yet she lived for a while in Cattor, moving still to Legamaghery.  She even lived with one of our cousins, over at Curr.  How then are we to connect these places when they all come together at the graveyard in Eskra, but actually is in the townland of Lisnarable?  You could start with Margaret's gravestone and the Eskra Roman Catholic chapel.

There was a Maggie McCarroll who entered at age 10 Fintona's school, previously from "Eskra" but she left that school February 11, 1923.  Her father was listed as a publican, as was my grandfather and both were in Fintona at that time.

You might want to obtain a map that will let you know just what the townlands are around this area. 

I raise thes points not to argue but to show you how difficult it is to locate long, and not so long, lost relatives.  By the way, do you know of Maggie's maiden name?  That may give you a clue to where you start to can find her.  Who knows, she might have been that Maggie Carroll.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.