Author Topic: Rev William J Purdon, Co Carlow  (Read 7259 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev William J Purdon, Co Carlow
« on: Monday 24 August 09 10:12 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with information on this cleric who was rector of St Mary's, Catherlough, Carlow between 1859 and 1864, according to a local history website.  He had earlier been the first incumbent of St Anne's, Aigburth, then near but now in Liverpool, from its inauguration in 1837 until 1852.  He became BA at Trinity College, Dublin in 1814.
I know about his two marriages and his two daughters, but am interested in his career before and after Liverpool, and especially in any portrait or other likeness.
A

Offline mcmahongg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rev William J Purdon, Co Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

The family is almost certainly 'Purdon of Tinerana', Co.Clare. Tinerana House is at Killaloe:
http://jamestreacy.com/tinerana.htm

The family is covered in 'Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland' (1912), pages 579-560:

Rev Purdon's father Simon Purdon married Anne, daughter of George le Hunte of Astramont, Co Wexford 'and had, inter alios, a son' -
'Rev. William John Purdon, of De Vesci Terrace, Kingstown, Co.Dublin, M.A. Oxon. He m. 1st, 9 Sept 1824, Charlotte Emily, dau. of Right Hon. Denis Browne, M.P. (see Burke's Peerage, Sligo, M.), by whom (who d. 23 Apr, 1838) he had two daus., Emily Jane, and Anna Maria. He m. 2ndly, June, 1842, Katherine Geraldine, dau. of Sir Ross Mahon Bart., of Castlebar'.

Hugh Weir, 'Houses of Clare', pages 262-263 states that Tinerana House still stands and is inhabited - it was a health centre in recent times. It's in the townland of Islandcosgry, Civil Parish of Ogonnelloe. Location is east of the Scarriff road, 8 km north of Killaloe.

Canon James B. Leslie wrote the authoritative biographical surveys on the clergy of the Church of Ireland. Several of these have been reprinted in recent times. The Representative Church Body Library in Dublin holds the records of the clergy (ireland.anglican.org).

I hope this helps.

Gerry

Offline mcmahongg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 09 10:02 BST (UK) »
In 1876, George F. Purdon of 'Tineranna', Killaloe held 6,298 acres in Co. Clare.

from 'Return of Owners of Land in Ireland', 1876, page 113

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
Gerry
Since my August posting I have been scouring a number of sources and only this morning I received by post an extract from Canon Leslie's 'Clergy of Dublin & Glendalough' giving me William Purdon's appointments from a curacy at St Mary's Dublin, via Liverpool, to his last as rector of Castle Ellis until his retirement in 1873.
He seems to have been well connected, and another reference shows him as co-owner of some lead mines.
All I need now is the link that brought him to Liverpool, where the parish's patrons had no Irish connections that I have been able to discover - so far!
Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
A

Offline mcmahongg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
The staff at the RCB in Dublin are very helpful and knowleadgable. - their records might throw some light on this.

Mr Raymond Refausse, who works at the RCB, has written and lectured extensively on Church of Ireland records, e.g.
http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.php?intProductID=393
He might be able to help explain why a transfer such as this took place.

Of course, the Liverpool parish records might give clues too - but you're probably investigating this also.

best regards

Gerry

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Gerry
Thanks again.  I shall follow that lead.
A