Author Topic: *Completed*HARDING brickwall - breakthough appreciated  (Read 10598 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HARDING brickwall - breakthough appreciated
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
In 1851, he, wife Maria, Emma + visitor Joseph Davis 22 Shoemaker Pembroke Dock are in Back Street, Swansea HO107/2466 Folio 351 Page 17 (transcribed "Harich")

In 1871 the family are at  RG10/5331 Folio 56 Page 62 (Fenetta is transcribed as Jeanette) and there is a 6yr old nephew Alfred Roberts (born Trevethin, Monmouthshire), might help if hes from Henry's side not his wifes)

Regards
Cat  :)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Fenetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Cat One,

Thanks for your interesting reply.   Rootschatters really are the greatest.    The g.....grandfather Henry that I am not finding is the one who had to be born before 1818-1820  (I think)   because his daughter Fenetta is listed in several places as being born in 1830.

The Henry you have found in Wales was born approx 1924?

I think this may be your Henry in 1861?

Henry Harding 37 Cordwainer South Molton South Devon
Mira 42 Dressmaker Blakeney Gloucestershire
Emma 14 Scholar Myrther South Wales
Fanette 7 Swansea South Wales
Elizabeth 5 Coleford, Gloucestershire
Mariah Helen 3 Coleford Gloucestershire

Newland Whitecliff, Coleford and Newland, Gloucestershire
RG9/3980 Folio 21 Page 36

I also saw him in Charles, Devon, in the 1841 census, a servant in the household of a farmer

Regards
Cat :)

Would it be possible that the above Henry is the son of the first Henry and therefore a brother  of the first
Fenetta. 

Finetta Hardin was an 11yr old servant in South Molton in the 1841 Census.  So no parents found in 1841

Is there an age for Henry in Charles, Devon in the 1841 census?  Maybe they were very poor or orphans?

There seems to be a definite link between the families, due to similar names etc.

I have an index for Fennetta Ann Hearding, b. Dec 1853, Swansea Vol 11A Pg. 388.  Shes the girl above that you found.

I kept that finding because she is surely connected to my g.....gran Fenetta.

They moved around a bit!!!!

Where did they end up??

In your second reply you mention In 1871 family at RG10/5531 etc...    Where do I access that??

In 1891 Pontypool, WALES Census Henry Hearding age 67 ,born S. Molton, Widow, shoemaker.

Thanks a million for all your work,  its given me hope of finding HENRY   ::)

Fenetta    :)
London: CHELSEA;    Spriggs, Gaffney, Maher
Kent:      DOVER ;     Spriggs, Boulsbee
Devon:   EXETER;      Mardles, Hearding
Northamtonshire: OUNDLE; Spriggs, Weston
Berkshire:  READING; Spriggs

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
Fenetta

Now you've got me looking for the wrong Henry!!

I would say it's odd-on that this Henry is a brother of your Fanetta, which means that since he was born in 1824, and was probably the eldest son, his father would have been born about 1800 or maybe earlier. This at least pushes back your search by a few years.

It also looks as if Henry HARDING (indexed as HEARDING) married Myra PHILLIPS on 10 MAY 1846 at Ganarew, Hereford (IGI). The marriage was recorded in the Monmouth Registration District in the June Quarter of 1846 (Vol 26, page 113).  It probably wouldn't add much to get his marriage certificate although it should confirm that his father - like Fenetta's - was also Henry.

It's interesting that their first child was named Emma; you may find that this, or one of the other names in that family, provides a link back to earlier generations.

In case it's helpful, Henry (junior) and Myra were living in High Street, Trevethin Monmouthshire at the time of the 1881 census.

Finally, there is someone descended from Fenetta, the daughter of this family born in 1853. You might like to get in touch and compare notes:  http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/DEVON/2001-05/0990376215

Kind regards

Phil

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
The Henry in Charles in 1841 was aged 15.

This would appear to be his wife's death registration in 1889 -
Myra Harding age 71 Sept 1889 Pontypool Vol 11a Page 69

I use ancestry.co.uk to access the censuses although some people prefer others, but I got this years sub at half price, just over £40 which I think is good for a year, don't know if they've still got the offer on though....

The Henry you have in 1891 is age 67? so born c1824, not 1834?  :-\ I agree with Phil and think that this Henry is likely to be your Fenetta's brother.

In 1841 and 1851 there is another Henry Harding in the "hundred" of South Molton -
1841 - Henry Harding 45 Ag Lab Y (in Knowstone, Devon)
1851 - Henry Hardin 50 Farm Labourer Devon Parra......? (in Molland, Devon) (however hes down as unmarried, I wonder if he could be widowed though and that is why the children are not with parents in 1841 but out working instead)  :-\

Regards
Cat
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Fenetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

Thanks so much for your reply.  I feel like an intruder onto your search for Henry!!!!  :-[ 
 I never meant that to happen. 

However, I am grateful because I have made a hole into my Henrys rather strong brickwall.

I haven't been able to go back with any degree of certainty prior to 1830.
However I don't have any site subscriptions and don't live in the UK so I am relying on Rootschatters, and FreeBMD etc..

Rootschatters have helped more than any other search I could do.  THANKS :)

Thanks for your help again.  P.S.  I hope your search continues with good results.

Regards
Fenetta

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Fenetta

I posted a query on the Devon Board regarding the Henry HARDING in South Molton. The reply is available here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=403658.msg2724741#msg2724741

As Cat says, it looks as if this Henry was either unmarried or (more likely) widowed by 1841, so unfortunately it doesn't take your search back any further.

From the looks of freereg, no-one has been assigned to transcribe the registers of South Molton, but there does seem to be a local library and museum which could be worth contacting. Have a look at: http://www.northdevonlink.co.uk/south-molton.htm

Finally, the Henry HARDIN that Cat has identified in 1851 probably came from Parracombe. I note from IGI that a Henry HARDING was baptised at Parracombe on 03 JAN 1796  to John HARDING and his wife Mary Toms Harding.  Again from IGI it looks like they married in Parracombe on 28 SEP 1793.

I hope something here is helpful to you.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: *Completed*HARDING brickwall - breakthough appreciated
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
To everyone who has contributed to this thread, many thanks. There is a treasure trove of ideas and links here, which will take me a while to digest.  I have a feeling that the links between Bruton and Mere will prove to be vital in carrying this research back to earlier generations.

I now have a couple of new directions to follow, and I will probably post separate requests to keep the stands of this inquiry clear.

Thanks to everyone for your unselfish contributions.

Kind regards

Phil

Offline Fenetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Cat an Phil,

Thanks for your latest information.   I will have a look at the threads you have posted.   I'm sure to find more pieces of the puzzle.

Happy searching,

Fenetta,

Offline debbi66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 April 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil and Cat.  I have only just joined this web site so am not sure how to send a private e-mail.  I am tracing the same family. Fannette Harding born in Swansea is my Great Great Grandmother.  She married twice.  Firstly Charles Hall then Francis Fish.   I have a lot of information re her descendants which I can share. 

I have her parents as Henry Harding and Myra Phillips and her grandparents as Henry Harding and Elizabeth Callacott.