Author Topic: Samuel Wells and third wife Mary Smith ?  (Read 8996 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Wells and third wife Mary Smith ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 November 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
From records it is recorded Mary Wells at Middliebie town had a son baptised Thomas Wells born on the 10th September 1832. She gives the father as John Thompson in the Parish of Dryfesdale(sorry this spelling is probably incorrect).
So I would presume the child to be born in Middliebie as were her other three children.
JIll
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for all the questions, Jill, but I'm a bit unclear about your post yesterday at 02:37 re the age at death of Thomas Wells  '....who was 34 when he died in 1851'. This would mean that he was born c1817, or have a gone wrong somewhere?
There was a Thomas Wells in 1851, 15yrs , born Middlebie, living at Park, Annan, Dumfries with Matthew Bell, Farmer, and family. However that could be the same Thomas who was living with a large number of Wells at Village Waterbeck, Middlebie. Of course there was no relationship given in 1841 and looking at it I would think his father was William. There was also an Adam Thomson living with them. Confusing or what! I think you will have gone over all of those anyway.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Rae for your reply.
Yes you are correct, Thomas Wells who died 1851 and was 34 when he died would have been born c1817. My mistake and probably being over zealous about finding Thomas!  ::)

The later of the message is definitely one of the family as well.

Thomas you mentioned was the son of William Wells whom had married Janet Bell. They had three other children:
1.Jane born1829,
2. William born 1832,
3. John born1834.
The Thomas mentioned here as being 15 does he appear in any other census records or the like?
Interesting to note Adam Thomson living with them.
You mention a large number of Wells living at Village Waterbeck,Middliebie..Who were they?
Jill

O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »

This is the Wells family all on the same page.
William Wells 30
Elizabeth Wells 30
Margaret Wells 2
Janet Wells 6 Mo
Adam Thompson 15
William Wells 35
Janet Wells 40
William Wells 9
John Wells 7
Thomas Wells 5
William Canuthers 23
The William, 30yrs, was a tailor and William 35yrs was a shoemaker.
I can't find Thomas Wells in any other census using birthplace and approx., birthdate but, as often happens, the entry might be there somewhere!
When were Mary and Samuel married? Was she married to John Thompson?
Rae

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Further to your answer to my question on  Tuesday [quote author=excel
There was a Thomas Wells in 1851, 15yrs , born Middlebie, living at Park, Annan, Dumfries with Matthew Bell, Farmer, and family.

Can you tell me who the names of the other family are please?

Is Waterbeck near Eaglesfield or Dockenflat?

If the Wells family are all on the same page is this  to say they all live together in the one household?

I cant really say at this time who William Wells 30 (Tailor) and Elizabeth Wells 30 Margaret Wells 2 Janet Wells 6 months and Adam Thompson are but they are obviously related do you think?

William Wells 35 (shoemaker) Janet Wells 40 William Wells 9 John Wells 7 Thomas Wells 5 and William Carruthers 23 (not sure about him) but this Wells Family is definitely ours.
 Janet Wells formerly Janet Bell.
William Wells listed above as shoemaker died 26 October 1851, Dockenflat 48 years.
 William was the  first son of Samuel Wells and Margaret McNay.
As Samuel Wells  and his first born son William Wells were both shoemakers is there some way of finding out about a trade or such they may have completed for this?

Apparently there is a headstone for Samuel in the Middlibie church grounds along with a sarcophagus for John Smith Wells any ideas who I might contact for a photograph and details?

William Wells 9 mentioned  was born in Ecclefechan and came to Australia and married in 1863.
How can I find William coming to Australia?

Thank You for trying to look for Thomas Wells, he is doing a good job of eluding us... may be he came to Australia as well!

As to Samuel and Mary, I presumed they were married but have no marriage details.  No I dont think Mary was married to John Thompson.

Jill

O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,
My reply was getting rather long so I will send you a pm with the answers to your questions - at least any I can answer.
Why don't you write a separate message to ask if anyone living near Middlebie churchyard would be kind enough to take photos for you.
Rae