Author Topic: RAF in India WW2  (Read 50964 times)

Offline Paul fossett

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF in India WW2
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 12 July 20 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hello all
New here to share some info and maybe gain some. My grandfather was RAF in Burma. I know very little to be fair.
His name was Cyril ‘Harry’ Whitbread. Lived in east London and had a veg stall/ at the docks. Pretty sure he worked on Spitfires.
Pic included is a Spitfire pin he used to make out of old pennies. He also made cigarette lighters out of shell casings.

Offline crimtaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have responded

My wife and I got the forms for getting the service records though we need to get a copy of her father's (James Notman) death certificate to prove he is dead so that we can get the full service records.

As I mentioned my wife's father died in 1980 when she was only 7 years old and her mother would never speak about his WW2 times and she has now passed away a year ago still refusing to speak about it.

The POW story may not be true as stories get 'enhanced' over time LOL :)

We do know for a fact that he was in India in September 1945 as he got married to Mary Lisiewich who we understand to be a polish nurse (not my mother in law) but James first wife.

My wife has a step brother who she thought was an uncle as she knew him when she was a child but found out within last 7 years his true identity but she does not know where he lives or even if he is alive. She would like to make contact with him as he would probably have lots of info about their father.

hiya rich,
James Notman was my great granny Margaret Notman's brother - i just so happened to have stumbled across this post in my travels (and my search for photos and information haha) - I found his first son who did die in 2009, I've yet to have read the rest of this thread so I have no idea if you know this by now nearly 10 years later

Offline crimtaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 00:33 BST (UK) »
Another post to make,
I received the records of my great grandpa Albert Joseph Griffiths not too long ago, who was a gunner in Burma and according to legend was a POW until he managed to escape. He never spoke of his wartime experiences and I'm not sure if he is on any POW rolls - how would I be able to find these?
Those records were surprisingly redacted to hell and back, which is a slight thorn in my side but I'll make do.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 09:07 BST (UK) »
crimtaa,

The POW index cards for Japanese POWs are held in WO345 at TNA, and are searchable on Discovery. They have been digitized.

That said nothing comes up for Albert Griffiths. It may be that although he was captured, he managed to escape before being formally documented and inducted into a POW camp.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 09:17 BST (UK) »
There are several Albert Griffiths among the German POWs, with this particular individual being in the Royal Artillery.