Author Topic: Amy Louise Mclean  (Read 8356 times)

Offline leofred

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amy Louise Mclean
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again Danchaslyn

I will buy some credits with find my past tomorrow as Im off this evening for a Mexican night and have a lot to do before I go.

If I find any passengers who also worked at the same hotel will let you know.

Thats very interesting about all the Mcleans in Durban as its quite possible one of her brothers went with her, will have to look into this. Its never ending thank goodness Im retired and have more time although there is never hours in the day for me. I just wish my father was still alive he would have loved all this

Thanks once again

janice

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 August 09 05:33 BST (UK) »
Just a correction- the second boer war ended in 1902 so she came out after that. Many people were encouraged to settle in SA after the War and many soldiers stayed on in the country. There was so much movement between continents at that time, for many different reasons, it is difficult to speculate.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 August 09 06:12 BST (UK) »

:)

Thank you, Rutti Tutti is absolutely correct, officially the Second Boer finished in 1902,  BUT, the reality of life throughout the Colony of Natal, was one of continued hardship and danger.

Boer forces still roamed, uncontrolled, at will, ambushing etc.  The British forces were "required" elsewhere, so as and when, it suited, politically, they withdrew.

As with any conflict, the population was affected in diverse ways, .............Boer numbers dwindled not only due to casualties, but to internments on the Island of St Helena, some British soldiers remained and since the British 1820 Settlers arrival in South Africa,  Brits continued, for so many reasons, to emigrate to South Africa,.

With Amy's "background" in particular, as Leofred stated, it is unusual, for a young woman, supposedly unaccompanied, to have undertaken such an enormous adventure.  The funding for her sea passage, at this stage, is a mystery?

Cheers

Danchaslyn

:)
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand