Author Topic: Hill, Adams, Wray, Irwin, Macaulay, McNeill, Lepper, Dobbs, Posnett, et.al  (Read 29103 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hill, Adams, Wray, Irwin, Macaulay, McNeill, Lepper, Dobbs, Posnett, et.al
« on: Wednesday 26 August 09 06:54 BST (UK) »
Is this 100% accurate?  No.  But with my limited resources it was the best that I could do.  All correctios and additional information most welcome.  I hope the numbering is correct and that not too many names are misspelled.

1.  Rev. John Hill of Cashel
2.  son m. ?
3.  Arthur Hill
3.  Sarah Hill m. Mr Anderson
3.  George Hill m. 1797, his cousin, Mary Hill of Hillmout and Ballymena (see later)
2.  John Hill, linen merchant of Hillmount and Ballymena, m. Anne Barry, dau of ? Barry and Anne Coleman of Carrickfergus, dau of Dr John Coleman
3.  Elizabeth Hill, eldest dau, m. 1789 William Adams, merchant of Portglenone
4.  (Capt.?) Robert Adams immigrated to Australia; m. 1844 Jane Anderson of Scotland
5.  Annie Adams (1848-1930) m. 1874 (Sir) James Glenny Wilson
6.  Maj. Robert Adams Wilson (c. 1875-1964)
6.  Nancy Wilson
6.  Jane Dorothea Wilson
6.  George Hamish Wilson b. abt 1876; m. 1906 Ada Mary Ormond
7.  George Hamish Ormond Wilson, C.M.G., M.P. for N.Z.; m. 1 1940 Margery Wace (She d. 1944);  m. 2 1946 Rosamond Russell (nee Rolleston); From her first marriage Rosamond had a son and two daus.
8. XXXX
7.  child
7.  child
7.  child
5.  John Dalrymple Adams, b. 1845; m. Sophia (Sophy) Riley, dau of James Riley and Harriet Sophia Smith of Geelong, Australia.  Harriet was the dau of Thomas Smith and Penelope Whistler.  James Riley was the stepson of Thomas Brook of Leytonston House, Yorkshire.
5.  William Anderson Adams (1846-1930) m. 1874 Mary Rachel Bostock, dau of George Bostock and Ann Cox
6.  Annie Geraldine Adams m. 1902 at Christ Church, Hawthorn, Australia to Hugh Raymond McCrae (1876-1958)
7.  Dorothea Huntley McCrae, b. 1903; m. 1925 (Sir) Norman Lethbridge Cowper, son of Cecil Spencer de Grey Cowper and Alice Mary Dodd w/issue.
7.  Marjory Francesca McCrae, b. 1907; m. Ronald Arthur McWilliam w/issue.
7.  Georgiana Rose McCrae, b. 1912 m. Augustus John Harrington Morris
4.  George Hill Adams, M.D., d. 1865 at Notting Hill, London
4.  Elizabeth Adams m. Rev. William McClintock Wray
5.  Dr Charles Wray of Brisbance, Australia
4.  Anne Adams, 2nd dau, m. Rev. Clarke Houston (I have him married to someone else.  Could this have been a first or 2nd marriage?)
4.  William Adams, d. 1872; m. Sarah Adair Raphael, dau of Henry Newtown Raphael of Galgorm, Ahoghill.
5.  George Hill Adams, immigrated to Melbourne, Australia
6.  Capt. George Hill Adams, M.C.
6.  Commander Bryan Fullerton Adams (1887-1971) m. 1 1921 Aubrey Marshall, dau of C. E. Marshall; m. 2 1937 Pamela Jocelyne Drury Lowe, only dau of Vice-Admiral Sydney Drury Lowe and Clare Susan Charteris, dau of Capt. Hon. Frederick William Charteris and the Lady Louisa Keppel
7.  XXXX
6.  William Ronald Adams, barrister
5.  Dau m. Rev. Samuel Thom(p)son
5.  Dau m. James Gard(i)ner, merchant
6.  James Gardner of Belfast
6.  Dr Campbell Gardner
5.  Annie Adams m. 1883 Rev. Clarke Huston Irwin (1858-1934), son of Elizabeth Jane Huston and the Rev William Irwin of Bandon
5.  Dau m. E. R. Adams of Belfast
4.  Thomas Adams m. Eliza
5.  ?  Annie Adams, b. 1834 m. 1856 Thomas Hawkes in Geelong, Australia
5.  William Adams m.?
6.  Annie Adams
4.  Mary Adams m. 1844 Robert Muirhead .   Lived at Osborne House, Geelong; He d. 1862; She d. 1863; had three daus

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hill, Adams, Wray, Irwin, Macaulay, McNeill, Lepper, Dobbs, Posnett, et.al
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 06:55 BST (UK) »
Part 2.

3.  Mary Hill, youngest dau, m. 1797 George Hill of Larne, her cousin
4.  Jane Hill m. Capt. George Macaulay, son of Alexander Macaulay of Glenville, Cushendall and the Hon. Julia Acheson, dau of Archibald Acheson, Lord Gosford
5.  Alexander Macaulay (1819-1849) m. Maria Martin, dau of John Martin of Dublin
6.  Alexander Macaulay (1849-1880) m. Emily Constance Rotheram, dau of George A. Rotheram, High Sheriff of Co. Meath, 1878.
7.  Alexander Macaulay, died 1893.
5.  Mary Macaulay m. William Harper Lepper, son of Charles Lepper of Laurel Lodge, Belfast and Anne Jane Harper
6.  Macaulay Lepper, died 1875
6. ?Charles William Lepper of Lakeview, Bangor, Co. Down; m. Rosalie Catherine Langley (She d. 1909)
7.  Annie Josephine Lepper, b. 1881
7.  Charles W. Lepper of Lakeview; m. Florence Barry, dau of Surgeon Major D. Patterson Barry of Radipole, Weymouth
7.  John Charles Harper Lepper, b. 1872; wholesale tea merchant; m. Julia Darley Stott, dau of Thomas Stott and Josephine Knox Russell
8.  John Langley Russell Lepper of Greystones, Co. Wicklow, b. 1909; m. 1940 Nellie Howe Meredith Scott (She d. 1942) dau of Rev. W. E. R. Scott
8.  Katherine Langley Lepper (1898-1983)
6.  Mary Hill Lepper m. 1866 Richard Stewart Dobbs, son of Maj. Gen. Richard Stewart Dobbs and Jane Cathcart, dau of Robert Cathcart
7.  Mary Macaulay Dobbs, died young
7.  Margaret Cathcart Dobbs, died young
6.  Anne Jane Lepper m. 1863 William Storrs Fry (1837-1898) of East Ham, son of William Storrs Fry and Juliana Pelly, dau of John Henry Pelly
7.  Mary Juliana Fry, b. 1865
7.  Ann Susan Fry, b. 1868
7.  Elizabeth Fry, b. 1871
7.  Arthur Pelly Fry (1873-1923)
7.  Lewis A. Fry, b. 1874
7.  Ethel O. Fry, b. 1875
7.  Charles M. Fry, b. 1877
7.  Raymond Fry (1880-1960) m. 1913 Amy Nevill Banks, dau of Edward Nevill Banks of Belfast
7.  William Storrs Fry (1866-1937)
7.  Maud Louisa Fry, b. 1870 m. 1897 Elliott McNeill, son of John McNeill of Hillmount and Larne and Mary Jane Hodges
8.  Douglas S. E. McNeill, b. 1898
8.  Sybil Ethel McNeill, b. 1901
8.  John Macaulay McNeill, b. 1903; m. 1929 Thirza Norine Crowe, dau of Dr George Crowe of Didsbury, Manchester
6.  Ehen Lepper m. 1874 Charles Leech of Cloonconra, son of Charles Leech, Q.C. and Anna Maria Chambre, dau of Hunt Walsh Chambre
7.  Charles Leech, b. 1875, accountant m. Ellen ?
8.  M. Nina Leech, b. 1881
8.  J. Douglas Leech, b. 1884
7.  Ernest Leech,
7.  Douglas Leech
7.  Eilene Hilda Macaulay Leech m. Lt. Col. William Thomas Johnston of Co. Tyrone
8.  Kathleen Patricia Johnston
8.  Cecil Macaulay Johston, b. 1908
8.  Walter Ball Johnston, b. 1910
8.  Charles Oswald Johnston, b. 1911
5.  Harriet Macaulay (1822-1907) m. Rev. Robert Posnett, son of Hutcheson Posnett, J.P. of Belfast, newspaper proprietor
6.  Hutchinson Posnett
6.  Alexander Macaulay Posnett (1857-1911)
6.  George Posnett (1859-1870)
6.  Prof. Hutchinson Posnett, M.A., LL.D.
6.  Robert George Macaulay Posnett, d. 1926, Dublin; Inspector C.P.S.I.
6.  Annie Georgina Posnett (1848-1868)
6.  Amelia Margaret Posnett (1861-1868)
6.  Sophia Letitia Posnett (1863-1868)
6.  Mary Posnett m. 1881 Rear Admiral Francis Pelly
7.  Lt. Col. Hutcheson Pelly m. 1913 Kathleen Clifford Walsh
7.  Emily Pelly m. 1919 Jerome O'Hanlon
7.  Dorothy Mary Pelly m. 1916 Brigadier Martin Milne Thomson, son of Col. Milne-Thomson of Devon
5.  Georgina Macaulay m. Henry FitzGibbon (1824-1909), Recorder of Belfast; cousin of Rt Hon Gerald FitzGibbon, Lord Justice of Appeals for Ire.
6.  Capt. Henry Macaulay FitzGibbon, barrister (1855-1942); m. Helen Rebecca Barton, dau of Dr John Kellock Barton and Mary Ap John, dau of Professor James Ap John of T.C.D.
7.  Lt. Richard Apjohn FitzGibbon (1890-1915)
7.  Georgina Rose FitzGibbon, b. 1886; m. 1917 Surgeon Frederick Cecil Wright, son of Dr F. W. Wright of Derby
8.  XXXX
8.  XXXX
5.  Anne Jane Macaulay m. George Hill Emerson, her cousin, son of Arbuthnot Emerson and Mary Hill;  Arbuthnot Emerson was the nephew of Sir James Emerson-Tennent.
6.  Arbuthnot Emerson, b. 1852 m. ? Elizabeth Susannah Kent, dau of Richard Francis Kent? (marriage not proven as of yet)
4.  Ann Hill m. 1822 William Walsh McNeill, solicitor, of Larne, son of John McNeill, solicitor, and Catherine Walsh.  He d. 1845
5.  George Hill McNeill, solicitor, b. 1824; m. 1855 Mary Hudson McNeill, dau of John McNeill, solicitor of Glenone, Co. Londonderry
5.  Catherine McNeill, b. 1827; m. 1. J. McNeill; m. 2 Rev. John Moore
5.  John McNeill, b. 1830 m. Mary Jane Hodges
6.  George Hill McNeill, b. 1868
6.  Elliott McNeill, solicitor, m. Maud Louisa Fry (see above)
5.  Ann McNeill, b. 1833
5.  William Walsh McNeill, b. 1835 m. Martha Neill
6.  Jane McNeill, b. 1871
6.  George Hill McNeill, b. 1873
6.  Mary Georgina McNeill
5.  Eliza Emerson McNeill, b. 1837
5.  Jane Hill McNeill, b. 1838
5.  Harriet Macaulay McNeill, b. 1844
4.  Mary Hill m. 1827 Arbuthnot Emerson, son of William Emerson and Sarah Arbuthnot
5.  George Hill Emerson, b. 1828 m. Anne Jane Macaulay (see above)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
With such a large number of people listed covering quite a few generations it is very difficult to know whether or not your tree might be correct. I have however removed several names and details of recent people in accordance with Rootschat policy.
Usually, a printed tree of this sort has indents and more than just generation numbers to make it easier to follow. Have a look at the suggestions here-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,422.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 09 08:35 BST (UK) »
From Net so much is unproven.  However, at some point in time it all should tie together.

1.  John Raphael m. Margaret Master (Could be McMaster)
2.  William Raphael (1738-1789) m. Jennet Jordan
3.  Henry Newtown Raphael, b. 1771; m.  Jane ?
4.  Sarah Adair Raphael m. William Adams (From Sarah's middle name there is some possibility that her mother was an Adair.  This, of course, needs to be researched)
4.  William Raphael (1813-1889) m. 1847 Sarah Jane ?; Probably both buried Galgorm, Ahoghill
5.  Henry William Raphael, b. 1850
5.  Mary Raphael, b. 1852
5.  Andrew Thomas Raphael, d. young
5.  John Thomas Raphael (1856-1880)
5.  Margaret Emily Raphael (c. 1856-1951)
5.  Andrew Raphael (1860-1946)
5.  Thomas Walker Raphael
5.  William Beck Raphael (1868-1901)
3.  Sarah Raphael m. Andrew Gordon
4.  Sarah Gordon m. Rev. Thomas MacPherson

Buick family

1.  David Buick emigrated from Montrose, Scot
2.  Rev. Frederick Buick (1811-1908) of Ahoghill; m. Matilda Raphael, dau of George Raphael
3.  Annie Raphael Buick of Rose Cottage, Ahoghill; m. 1865 Nathaniel Morton, merchant, son of Robert Morton, merchant, of Ballymena
3.  Rev. Dr. George Raphael Buick (1841-1904) of Culleybackey
3.  Rev. David Buick (1842-1907) of Ahoghill, Madras and Sandy Bay, Larne; m. 1866 Maggie Anna Moore, eldest dau of Rev. John Hamilton Moore; married at St. Andrew's Church, Madras
(Q:  Any relation or same person as Rev. John H. Moore of Connor, and whose eldest son was the Rev. John Charles Moore, who emigrated to the U.S.?)

1857-death of George Raphael, aged 88 of Galgorm

1911 census has the following Raphael families:

Andrew Raphael, Presb., aged 50, farmer and land agent
Mary, wife, aged 40, born Donegal

Living nearby

Lillian Haslett Raphael, 47, farmer, widow, born Co. Derry
George Raphael, 10
Catherine Saye? C. Raphael, 8
Thomas Davison Raphael, 5

1851 census of Craigs Townland lists
John Raphael, b. 1811, linen weaver, m. Eliza
Jane, 18, m. 1859 to John Anderson
Samuel, aged 20
William, aged 19
Margaret
Eliza, 16
James, 15
John, 14
Archibald, 9
Matthew, 6
Hugh

1843-- John Raphael of Ahoghill, Galgorm listed as being a local director of the Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ballymena.

At a later date we have George Raphael listed as a linen merchant and manufacturer and
Raphael & Co. listed as linen merchants of Galgorm, Gracehill

1856--John Raphael of Galgorm, merchant, executor of will of Joseph Kirkpatrick, farmer

~~~~~~~~-----------------------------------

Morton family notes

1.  William Morton, son of Robert Morton, merchant, of Ballymena; m. 1864  at 2nd Presbterian Church, Aghoghill, Mary Murry, dau of John Murry, merchant
1.  Nathaniel Morton, merchant of Ballymena, son of Robert Morton, merchant; m. 1865 at same, Annie Raphael Buick of Rose Cottage, dau of Rev. Frederick Buick

~~~~~~~~------------------

Robert Morton & Co., flour and oatmeal mills founded in 1835

Jane Morton, spinster, d. 1883 in Switzerland; executors were Nathaniel and Robert Morton, merchants

1857--Robert Morton, Esq. of Brookville, Ballymena; m. Mary Scott, eldest dau of James Scott, Esq., of Londonderry

1881--Nathaniel Morton, Brookvale (note spelling change but probably same place)
Nathaniel Morton's brother, John, died in 1867

1881--Robert Morton of Ballygarvey House, J.P., Broughshane Rd.

1885--Robert Morton of Oranmore, Ballymena, born; Master of Mid-Antrim Hunt; m. 1913 Alice Mary Georgina Smyth, 2nd dau of Major Arthur Smyth
~~~~~~~~-----------------------------

Scott family notes--same family as mentioned above or different??

1835--At Clifton, aged 80, Catherine Elizabeth, relict of James Scott, Esq., of Willsborough, Co. Londonderry

1825--Rev. George Scott, 3rd son of the late James Scott, Esq. of Wellsborough (sp changed); Rector of Balteagh, Co. Derry; m. Elizabeth Richardson, 3rd dau of late John Richardson, of Summer Hill, Esq., Co. Fermanagh

1824--Rev. James L. M. Scott, 5th son of the late James Scott, Esq. of Wellsborough, Co. Londonderry; m. Elizabeth Lucas, 2nd dau of the late Rev. Edward Lucas of Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 09 05:59 BST (UK) »
Same Hill family or not?  I believe it to be the same, however, only with further research will I be able to be sure.

1.  Mr Hill m. ?
2.  Thomas Hill, b. 1728
2.  Major Charles Hill (1729-1790) m. Mary Cuppage, dau of John Cuppage and Mary Macaulay (see under Macaulay family below)
3.  John Hill (1764-1824) m. 1797 Marabella Hemsworth
4.  John Hill, J.P. (1804-1887) m. Mary Brady Crawford
5.  Mary Shuldham Hill, b. 1825 m. William Moore, her cousin
5.  Mabella Hill m. Dr Robert Gordon
5.  Mariette Hill (1828-1889) m. Lt. Col. Henry Stewart Bruce
5.  Capt. Kenrick Hill m. Bessie French (to NZ)
4.  Mabella Hill m. Lt. Col. Arthur Kennedy; m. Kenrick Morres Jones-Hamilton (assumed name of Hamilton), son of Thomas Morres Jones and Letitia Hamilton
3.  Mary Hill, b. 1766; m. Charles Atkinson
3.  Lancelot Hill m. Elizabeth Cuppage (cousin?)
3.  Adam Hill (1780-1862) m. Lenora Hall, cousin, dau of Rev. Lindsay Hall (see Macaulay family below)

Macaulay family

1.  Rev. Alexander Macaulay m. Mildred Reid, dau of Rev. Adam Reid
2.  Alexander Macaulay, K.C., M.P., d. 1766; m. Margaret Boyd, dau of Col. Hugh Boyd of Ballycastle
2.  Mary Macaulay m. 1726 John Cuppage
3.  Rev. Alexander Cuppage (1727-1772) m. Mary Boyd, dau of William Boyd and Mary Wilson
3.  Adam Cuppage, linen draper
3.  Col. John Cuppage (1741-1808) m. Elizabeth Cooley in India
3.  Sarah Cuppage m. Rev. James Moore
4.  James Moore m. 1813 Mary Hall, dau of Rev. Lindsay Hall
3.  Mary Cuppage m. Maj. Charles Hill (as above)
3.  Alicia Cuppage m. Rev. Lindsay Hall
4.  Mary Hall m. James Moore, as above.
3.  Margaret Cuppage m. Surgeon William Douglas
4.  Dr John Cuppage Douglas m. 1817 Elizabeth Fulton, dau of Joseph Fulton and Ann Graham
3.  Elizabeth Cuppage m. Surgeon William McCurdy, son of John McCurdy and Letitia Hamilton
3.  Mildred Cuppage m. Richard Lloyd, linen draper of Coleraine, son of Rev. Richard Lloyd and Margaret Averell,sister of Rt. Rev. John Averell, Bishop of Limerick in 1770
3.  Catherine Cuppage m. 1762 John Greer of The Grange; J.P. and Dep. Governor of Cos. Armagh and Tyrone
2.  Rose Macaulay m. Archibald Dunlop, son of John Dunlop and Rose MacNeale
3.  John Dunlop m. Anne Boyd, dau of Alexander Boyd of Ballycastle Boyds
2.  Sarah Macaulay m. John Alexander of Alexanders of Carlow

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 09 10:29 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you read my reply earlier but I can't see the point of these posts as you've several threads which have discussed these families already-
Douglas family
Hill family
Martin family
Martin family on someone else's Dublin thread
McCauley, Co.Antrim
McCauley, Ardymaugh
another McCauley thread

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
Does genealogical research need to have a qualified point?  The
McCauley family of Ardymaugh is my line and there is no proven relationship to the Macaulay family of Layd, Cushendall.  However, if
you are aware of the connection I would be extremely interested.

My posts are primarily to offer other researchers information that they may otherwise not have.  At the same time, I offer other researchers the chance to comment on my posts.  It would be rather selfish of me to have information and not be willing to share it, don't you think.

And yes, I read your earlier reply, but I disagree with the formatting that you suggested.  Personally, from experience, I prefer the way I do it.  As this little note has used up a wee bit of my public computer time I do hope that I have made a  point.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 09 11:20 BST (UK) »
You've asked for comments on your posts here which is why I mentioned formatting the information differently when dealing with such a large number of individuals and generations. From your 1st post here it did sound as though you were asking for corrections and help rather than just posting the details you have for these families so far. I certainly agree with sharing information and it would be lovely if others who've researched these families can get in touch with you to exchange information but please remember that different posts going over the same details cause needless confusion and duplication for those wo are trying to help you.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 September 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for bringing all this information to my notice.

I shall print off and take to bed tonight to read through

......really love the side winding genealogy

and the ability to share ...................

especially as they must have taken many long hours and years to find these records in numerous records offices.

Thank you Pablo
Think you and I Pablo shall be speaking real soon.

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk