Author Topic: France to Poland to Germany - Prisoner of War, World War 2  (Read 3203 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
France to Poland to Germany - Prisoner of War, World War 2
« on: Wednesday 26 August 09 07:32 BST (UK) »
My husband's brother Duncan Bremner ('Brem') MacLeod, b. 18 January, 1919,  joined  the Territorial  Army Reserve in 1937. At outbreak of war, at 19 yrs. age., he joined 4th "Cameron Highlanders", 51st Highland Division, as private.  Also played bagpipes in the pipe-band in Army. 
Taken Prisoner-of-War in June 1940, at St. Valery, France, and was marched, with thousands of others, overland to Poland, and taken to Lubeck, Germany.  Because it was Winter and his boots wore out during the march, he suffered frost-bite in his toes, and lost several as a consequence.  He remained a Prisoner-of-War there until his release in April 1945.   Returned to work and died 1975 in Inverness.  Can anyone give me any further information about him or his unit, etc.?

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: France to Poland to Germany - Prisoner of War, World War 2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 07:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, mean to say he was born in Inverness, Scotland.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
2929635 Bandsman D.B.MacLeod, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. PoW number 19073, PoW camp (BAB 20)= Detachment E794 Stalag 344 formerly Bau und Arbeits Battalion 20, Stalag 344 is Lamsdorf.

Have a look here:

http://./forum/index.php?topic=1118.0

And here you should find his PoW camp on the Map.

http://./forum/index.php?topic=1002.0

I

Offline cardboard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 23 14:02 GMT (UK) »
The march in 1940 took place in the summer months.  The march where he would have suffered from frostbite took place in winter.  To be precise, the march from Bau und Arbeits Battalion 20 / E794 at Reigersfeld, Germany, (now Bierawa, Poland) started on 22nd January 1945.  He was most likely - although some from this camp were liberated elsewhere - liberated by advanced American forces at the Bavarian village of Winklarn on 23rd April. '45.  The POW's at BAB 20 /E794 were used as forced labour at the massive I.G. Farben synthetic fuels factory at Heydebreck which produced benzine, methanol & liquid oxygen that were used for the German war effort.