Author Topic: william henry groves and charlotte e groves - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7784 times)

Offline berdina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william henry groves and charlotte e groves - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
I AM TRYING TO FIND INFO ON MY GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS! william henry died 15 march 1902 and charlotte died 18 july 1930. they had a son, william in 1892/3 who married mary wakefield.

i am desperate for info on william an charlotte. william died in meath hospital, dublin and charlotte at sandymount dublin. i have no idea where they were born or resided prior to dublin.

i believe charlottes father was a photographer - Roe McMahon - try smiling - which was at 55 lr o'connell street in dublin. this is all the information i have - please can someone help

thank you

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: william henry groves and charlotte e groves - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
I'd say the best bet for finding information like place of birth etc for William would be by checking the 1901 census. This is due online later this year on the National Archives website at http://census.nationalarchives.ie after the 1911 data is completed.

do you know where Charlotte was in 1911 ?  I dont see her in Dublin or any of the other counties that are available at the moment (Antrim, Cork, Donegal, Down, Galway, Kerry, King's Co. &  Wexford).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,if you have any old family prayer books or old family bibles these may have old news paper cuttings whitch may aid your search,some times you may also gain information from memorial cards,if you do not have these items yourself  you could try checking around the family.It may also help if you check around other locations where you have family,items like old voters lists,tennents lists,even things like the Griffiths valuation may throw up family links in these other areas.
Good luck,Diarmuid
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland

Offline berdina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
we dont have much information at all, we believe both william and charlotte we born in the UK and later moved to dublin but we have no proof either way. we believe charlotte's father was a photographer, his business was located in dublin at 55 lr o'connell street. there has been talk that perhaps william was a barrister but we have checked with legal records and have as yet found nothing. i think that maybe charlotte was william's 2nd wife as he died in 1902 at the age we think of 77 and she lived until 1930s. if the age is right he was born in 1825 but i cannot find any birth certificates for that time give or take 2 or 3 years. it is very frustrating as most of that side of the family are dead and my granddad knows what i know. we are going to dublin in a few weeks to try and find something but we have no leads.

lianne

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 09 18:08 BST (UK) »
There's a possible match for the death of William on the Irish civil index on familysearch  which seems fit the details you have :

record type: Death
 Name: William Groves
 Reg. district: Dublin South
 date - quarter/year: Jan - Mar 1902
 Volume: 2 / Page: 616

you can order a research cert by post from the GRO using these details - see www.groireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gormangenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 August 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Found the William Groves that Shane just posted and there's also a deat that might be Charlotte-
Charlotte GROVES death July/Sept.19330 (age 75- so born c185), volume 3 page 307 Roscrea registration district which apparently comes under Laois, Offaly, Tipperary.
That death registration might tie in with 1911 census  for McMahons in Queen's Co. (now called Co. Laois).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 August 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
found an interesting entry from Thom's of 1914 ...

Roe McMahon, artist and photographer, 11 Harcourt street, 37 Grafton street,
  and 25 Sackville at, upper
   - res. I Terenure park, Terenure

is this father of the Henry Roe McMahon that gormangenealogy found ?

55 Sackville St (aka O'Connell St) listings for both 1894 and 1914 do mention a photogtrapher but does not seem to be connected to the McMahons at that time.

55 lwr Sackville st,

Chancellor and Son, watchmakers, turret & house clock and carillon
   manufacturers, jewllers & nautical instrument makers.

John Chancellor
    optician and photographer to the Prince of Wales
    res. Craiglands, Dalkey

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline berdina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
thats the one, roe mcmahon the photography place i believe was called try smiling.

wow this is great

so is that in the thom's dicectory? thats very expensive isnt it?

lianne