Author Topic: Grigor Archibald  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Rothesian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grigor Archibald
« on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:31 BST (UK) »
My Great  Grandfather Archibald Grigor was born in Elgin in June 1867 as the Illegitimate son of Helen Grant who lived in Station Street Rothes and Archibald Grigor Senior. I am unable to trace any birth or death information relating to Archibald Grigor Senior and wonder if anyone may be able to help, or point me in the right direction
The clues I have are as follows
1) Archibald's birth was registered in both Elgin and Rothes and Archibald Senior's occupation is listed as a ploughman residence "Fearneyfield, Urquhart"
2) Helen Grant had children out of wedlock by other fathers
3) Helen had another chlld "Margaret Grigor Grant" born June 1870 died June 1874. The birth registered in Rothes does not show any father, but I think it is fair to assume that Archibald Senior has been around for at least 3 years
4)Archibald junior's death certificate in 1946 in Rothes clearly shows Archibald Senior's occupation as a Policeman (This may or may not be a corruption of the word Ploughman)
5)I can find no other Archibald Grigors who may fit other than those who were already married or may have emigrated
Hope someone may be able to help

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Grigor Archibald
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rothesian

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Working from the 1871 census, there is this possibility for Archibald Snr:

John Cruickshanks 52, farmer
Mary Cruickshanks 45
Isabella Cruickshanks 2
Archie Grego 21, farm servant, b. Duffus Morayshire
Margret Morehart 22
Isabella Thur 14
David McKerrow 14

Address: Rosehaugh Farm House, New Spynie Moray

His age would fit well with Helen's, from 1871:

Jane Grant 57
Helen Grant 22, daughter b. Rothes, Elgin
John Grant 6
James Gordon 4
Archd Gregor 3 grandson b. Elgin, Elgin
Margaret Gregor 9 Months granddaughter b.Rothes, Elgin

Address: 9 Station Street, Rothes Moray

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Jumping 10 years to the 1881 census and following through on this Archibald b. Duffus, maybe this entry:

Archibald Grigor 31, spirit salesman b. Duffus
Frances Grigor   25, b. Moonzie, Fifeshire
Margaret Grigor 3, b. Glasgow
Elizabeth Grigor 1, b. Glasgow
Margaret Williamson 75, grandmother b. Abdie, Fifeshire

Address: 387 So York Street, Glasgow Hutchesontown

Following through this Archibald, he is showing through to 1901 in Glasgow Govan as a carter, with a son Archibald apart from the daughter Margaret above.

There are not that many Archibald Gre(i)gors showing in this age group. Not sure what else fits apart from the above entry. However, the reference to Archibald Snr showing as a policeman in son Archibald's death cert has kind of thrown me off  :-\

With sister Margare Grigor Grant having died a few years after her birth, it will be hard to be able to compare info from another source which is pity.

Checking Scotlands People, there is only one entry for a death on an Arch* Gr*gor b. 1842 +/- 10yrs and that is post 1901 in Lanarkshire so likely to be the one we have found from Duffus living there from 1881-1901.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rothesian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 April 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica
Thanks for your help: with a bit more help I was able to confirm that Archibald the Spirit Salesman is my great great grandfather. The refernce to him being a Policeman was a long shot but I was able to find, through the Mitchell Library in Glasgow,  that he joined the Renfrew Police in 1874 and the City of Glasgow Police in 1876 (Before that he had been an Assylum attendant)

Sadly through his "Second family" two sons were killed in the Great War - John Grigor (married to Marion Martin) -  Royal Field Artillery in 1916 and James Williamson Grigor -  New Zealand Machine Gun Corps in 1917

Also probably unknown to him his grandson by his first family Edward Grigor  - Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders killed in action 1918