Author Topic: Ambrose Crowley-Winlaton ironworks  (Read 31518 times)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose Crowley-Winlaton ironworks
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 July 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pat
I'll see if I can find an old map, this is all fascinating.
 I am also wondering now if Anthony Forster who went into business with John Cowen and later John’s son Joseph (Sir) was also an employee of Crowley.  Anthony’s son John born in 1823 is showing as being an Iron manufacturer employing 48 men and 12 boys and living at West End house, Low Town End, Winlaton in 1861.  He remained in Winlaton in the Iron industry until his death in 1873.  I might have to send off his will to see if I can find out any more information.
It’s a shame that there don’t appear to be any employee records it would have been really nice to tie up loose ends.

Regards

emma
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 July 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
As regards location - there was a place called Cowan's Works just west of Winlaton.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 July 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks jenifer

It's a shame it will only ever be remembered because of the Cowens, but Anthony's descendants know that he was in partenership with John and then Joseph, until Anthony and Joseph had a big dispute over ownership and Anthony left (possibly forced).

Regards

Emma
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 July 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
Jennifer
How do you do that?  It's brilliant: a really clear of a map and colour coded. ;D  Would I be able to find a map of Winlaton old enough to show the four squares that Ambrose CROWLEY built for his ironworks and for homes for his employees? ???
Regards Pat

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 July 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
Would I be able to find a map of Winlaton old enough to show the four squares that Ambrose CROWLEY built

I've been searching for one, but no luck yet  :(

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jennifer

I really appreciate the efforts that you are making on my behalf  :) Ambrose CROWLEY came to Winlaton in the very late 1600s.  The ironworks remained there until the early 1800s.

Pat

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
It's surprising they aren't shown on the maps on the Durham GIS site, because according to the 'Winlaton Hoppings' section here http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DUR/Barlow/Part2.html Commercial Square and Hoods Square were stil there well into the 20th century.

The 1894 - 99 map on the Durham site shows a 'Commercial Hotel' with plots neatly laid out around it, so perhaps that was the Commercial Square area?

Here's a photo of Commercial Hotel http://www.isee.gateshead.gov.uk/detail.php?t=objects&type=all&f=&s=commercial&record=0

And three of Crowley's, just in case you haven't seen them http://www.isee.gateshead.gov.uk/info.php?s=crowleys&type=all&t=objects

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 July 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jennifer :)  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about Barlow, a village that I know little about and need to explore further because my 3xgreat grandfather was born there, at the Letch.  The map was an added bonus, while the genuki website is not one that I have understood properly and will now investigate.  I have used isee and knew about Commercial Square but was unsure as to whether it was one of Crowley's squares.  Now, I know Hood Square too.
Regards
Pat :)

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 August 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
          If you go to this site:- http://www.swalwelluk.co.uk/index.html and click on 'People' you will find quite a bit of information about Ambrose Crowley and his operations in Swalwell as well as Winlaton.

PatB.