Author Topic: Ragged School/Bank St Boys Home  (Read 8606 times)

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ragged School/Bank St Boys Home
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 August 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
thanks for that Elaine might just do that - put a posting on I mean.

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated.
Maggie ;D
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Online elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 August 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Good Luck :)
if I come across anything I will let you know
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 August 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Elaine, it's very difficult to find anything. Don't really have enough information on my Grants and it's obviously a pretty common name in Scotland and Ireland so they're proving very tricky!

Have just discovered these chat rooms though and have got some good feedback from them so that's encouraging.

By the way, I should just mention there may be a link to Port Glasgow too.....just in case.....you never know who might pop into a post!
Maggie

Online elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 August 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Maggie
have you had a look at these births on IGI

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 August 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
hi Elaine, have found Patrick Joseph on there, Julia and Angus John. Are there any others I may have missed? Hopefully you've found something I've missed.
 :)

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 August 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
also found marriage for Owen Grant and Anne Carroll who were married Dublin 1876 it's on there too.
M

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 September 09 23:52 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was an inmate at the Captain Street facility. He shows up there under his step father's name on the 1891 census. Our family was shocked to discover this. We knew he had a very rough childhood and emigrated to Canada in 1906, but we had no idea he'd ended up in a ragged school. Given that his step father only had two children to support, things must have been bad.

At that point, about 100 children, all boys. Youngest was 7. Most of them are 11-15 or so.

M.

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 September 09 10:23 BST (UK) »
thank you for your response Mary. Have been trying in vain to find any information relating to the school and everything seems to have been destroyed. I always thought that my grandfather must have been about that age when he attended that school but can find little or nothing about his early life.

I will have to wait til the next census comes online to find where my grandfather was in 1911. Am quite shocked that Greenock seems to have destroyed all those old records. Such a disregard for the history of the poor in that region. And I think that even the next census might not tell me all that much. My grandfather would have been 8 years old in 1911 so I really don't know where he would have been. Do you know if the school was a residential school? Think it probably was.
Maggie

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 September 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
I'm certain it was residential - the census certainly seems to indicate the boys were living there as inmates.

What little I know is that my great grandfather was born on the "wrong side of the blanket" in Ireland. When he was less than a year old, his mother came to Greenock and married a widower, James Cassidy, who by that point, only had one other child at home (out of the four he appears to have had with his first wife). James was a sugarhouse laborer. I don't know if he was a drunk - but I do know from some family stories that he was very cruel to Tom and that my great grandfather hated him.

Net result was that Tom ended up in the ragged school, which seems to have done him some good, in terms of keeping him alive, fed and at least given basic care - and getting him a bit of an education - he could read and write, which HIS parents couldn't. Somehow he even came away able to play the organ well enough to be the substitute organist at his church in Canada. In the 1891 census, his age is given as 15, but he was actually 17, so doubtless small enough to get away with fibbing about his age so to keep a roof over his head a bit longer. 

He must have been terribly starved and neglected as a child - both he and my great grandmother who came from a similar deprived background were very small - he was less than 5' 3" as a man and all of his children towered over him by many inches, so you know poor diet must have been the culprit. I have his WWI service records (he signed up in his 40's when he was the father of 6 as an ambulence driver), and he apparently had foot problems occasioned by improper footwear as a child (the medical records make mention of his foot deformities due to ill fitted shoes and that he couldn't walk far or march).

And for all of that, he ended up as just a lovely sweet man, father of 9, and very gentle, kind and even tempered.

I just can't imagine the poverty. I have a picture taken in Greenock of a school class in 1911 - my great grandmother's first child is in the picture. This little girl was left behind when my great grandmother went to Canada. What is remarkable about the picture is how ragged and dirty all the children are. Most of them look very thin and worn, many are quite dirty, clothing ill fitting, worn, patched and ragged - most of the boys look like they are wearing items made from worn out adult clothing. All of the little boys in the front are barefoot, although it is clearly NOT warm or dry.

It's like something out of a Dicken's novel.

M.