Author Topic: Laptop trouble please help.  (Read 786 times)

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laptop trouble please help.
« on: Friday 28 August 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
I have a Packard Bell laptop with vista home basic ( 8 months old) I have tried logging in but after the welcome screen comes up the screen goes completely black. I have tried switching it of and then logging in as a guest but it says "logging off"and goes back to the same screen. I am puzzled it was working fine this morning .I had just installed some new security software which required a restart, well it hasn't restarted since. The software was Kaspersky which I have on my PC and have never had any problems.
Please can someone offer any help, this is my 9 year old sons lap top and he is going to be so upset.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop trouble please help.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 August 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
Can you log in as the Adminstator?

Try logging on in safe mode.  After powering up keep tapping the F8 key until you get the safe mode menu.  I would then log in as the Administator and uninstall Kaspersky in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to see if that resolves the problem.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rfornal

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop trouble please help.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
I ran into this on my niece's computer and it can be particularly nasty.

The options are pretty simple ... try the F8 already listed and have it try a Repair.  If this still doesn't work and the black screen continues (in her case safe mode made no difference) ... find someone that knows how to connect the drive into another machine to pull any data you want to save ...

Because the only option at this point would be to reload the OS ... generally, this can be done as one of the F8 | Repair Options ...

Let me know ...
FORNAL, ZUNDEL, KELLER, CRONIN, DeLUCA

http://www.podcastgenealogy.com